Sunday, October 26, 2014

October 25, 2014- Costume Preview


























Kate got to dress up for her piano recital this weekend in her costume.  So we decided to let all the kids wear their costumes.  The only Halloween Party we are going to is on Halloween, so we were happy to find another excuse to wear the costumes.
Halloween costumes are sacred ground to me.  Despite the fact that Jake thinks it is silly to buy all new costumes every year instead of just find something we already have, he doesn't fight me.  He knows that I waited to be a mother with all kinds of excitement about dressing my kids up in their idea of a perfect costume for Halloween.  I don't let my kids have their way often but your birthday and your Halloween costume, you get complete control over.

Marianne decided to be Sophia the First this year.  She had her heart set on being Spiderman for a good six months but then after a trip to Disneyland and some Disney Jr. she changed her mind to Princess Sophia.  We bought the purple dress at the store.  But I can't just have a store bought costume, so we added the purple amulet she wears around her neck we made together, and then Marianne and I went to the store and founds some birds we might secure to the costume (Princess Sophia is kind of like Cinderella and Snow White- all the birds and rabbits in the forrest help her and talk to her)  We also got a crown.  Marianne was adorable in it of course.  But kept asking me how we were going to get her to have brown hair like Sophia- I told her we were just going to curl it and she kept asking.

Samuel wanted to be the blue ninja turtle.   His only other idea was a vampire.  But in the end decided turtle. He doesn't know the names just the colors.  One night at the grocery store I found the entire thing in his size just like I knew he would love for a whole $19.  We added a sword I found at the dollar store.  He told me the blue ninja turtle has two swords after I brought it home.  Can you tell my kids are very particular and into accuracy about their costumes :)

Kate bounced around  a few ideas.  She even was trying to get everyone to agree to be a character from Frozen so she could be Elsa.  She had everyone assigned, but Sam and Marianne didn't want to be the same theme as Kate- so she changed all together and decided to be a witch.  But not just any witch.  A scary witch with a green face and raggedy old clothing that was purple.  I showed her about five witch dresses my friends had offered up or I had seen in the store but nothing was "old enough" for her.  Everything was too cute and new looking to her.  So we went to the store where she picked out some material.  I tried to get her to go for some cute spiderweb print even- but she had a vision.  She picked out fabric.  Then together we ripped it all up and sewed it back together in purple and green and black.  We got a hat, some nails, gloves, tights and she  asked to use the candy cauldron.  We got face paint too.  We painted her face, and she said "this is JUST what I WANTED!"  and "I don't look like me at ALL!"  it was a success.  I loved making her so happy.  I also laugh because I think I was a witch in kindergarten- and I loved it so much I was a witch the next two or three years too.

Bethany is often called Rooster.  A nickname that came from Bethy-roo.  Then Roo-Roo, then Rooster.  It works well with her red hair and the fact that she use to wake up yelling to the whole house early in the morning.  I thought it would be fun to find a Rooster- or a Fox- we call her that too.  And one day at Costco we came across the most adorable Rooster costume for a whole $12.  We added the tights.  When I showed Kate when she came home from school Beth's costume Kate said " it would be really great if we had yellow gloves to but on her feet"  I smiled as I ran to the kitchen drawer and pulled out these yellow dishwashing gloves.  We laughed and decided they would be perfect.    Bethany had her costume on the first day and was running around giggling and loving it- and the attention from her siblings and I giggling at her.  When we put the feet on to take this picture the face she made and the way she lifted her foot looked just like a Rooster.

Then here is a picture of my cute four monsters!

1 comment:

KJ's Perspective Take 2 said...

You really have the most adorable children. Glad they are having such a fun Halloween season.