Friday, March 6, 2009

Ten Days


Ten things I didn't expect with two kids under two

1. To fall in love so fast-

With my first it took a while to be as bonded to my child. It was almost instant this time.

2. To have gotten a shower every day-

I may just get showered and return to wearing sweats, but I am pretty impressed just with the showering. Sometimes I even get my hair done and makeup on. I know right?

3. To have recovered so quickly-

This time my body feels almost normal already- it may not look it though seeing as how I inevitably gain 50 lbs or more with my pregnancies.

4. So many people to be so kind-

my mom has been over several days for two to four hours since we came home, not to mention watched Kate while we were at the hospital. My sister amy just came from Arizona- she drove all though the night to arrive at five in the morning, just to start cleaning my house. So many friends and neighbors have made us dinner. We've been home for ten days and only not had dinner two nights from someone- but we had tons of left overs so i still haven't had to break into the frozen dinners I had set. Others have taken Kate for play dates or special little outings..... THANK YOU EVERYONE!

5. To be this sane so far.

Not that I don't break down almost every day at least once, but that is not too bad considering all the changes and hormones. It doesn't hurt that thus far Samuel is a pretty good eater and sleeper. I am a lot less worried this time and I rarely wake my child to make him eat. I followed this advice with Kate and woke her every two or two and a half hours to nurse- making a baby who wasn't hungry- tired and angry and a mommy very sleepy. This time I let him sleep, and have had a few four hour stints at night of sleep.

6. To change so many diapers. Our Sam likes to eat- but that means he has to poop also. His 15 diapers on top of a few of kates and we are up to 20 diapers a day. That is a lot of changing and a lot of diapers. To top it off Sam has a yeast infection from the antibiotics they gave me during labor, so changing him is a five step process of vaseline and ointments. Often we finish just to hear him poop five minutes later. Kate hears him and says- "Baby Sam pooped again".

7. That the schedule in our household would change so much-

Of course I thought we would be waking up earlier, but I also forgot about how newborns don't go to sleep until 11:00 at night. Jake and I were getting quite use to our two hours to ourselves in the evening after Kate went to sleep. It had been easy to spend time together with just one child, but I can see that this may not be as much the case now that we have two.

8. To feel so bad for Kate-

I knew I would worry about her while we left her for a few days while in the hospital and I did. I didn't realize how sad I would feel when she asked Dad instead of Mom to read her a bedtime story, or told me no when I tried to play with her, or how much it would hurt my heart when she goes and sits in the corner to play with a toy by herself when I pick up the baby again to feed him. I also didn't expect the tantrums.

9. For Kate to seem so old-

She was a baby when we went to the hospital, now she is all grown up some how. When I get her dressed I can't believe how huge her arms and legs are, or how heavy she is. I can't believe all the things she can say. She speaks in sentences, counts to ten, helps me around the house. It is amazing how much different I see her now that she is not the baby.

10. How foreign it would feel to have two- Two car seats in my car, two children to bath, two bedrooms with children themed decor. Nowhere to put groceries in my shopping cart because it is all full with kids. With one child, I still felt young, not that far removed from newlyweds with no children. She was my child, but also like my little buddy I brought everywhere. With two, I am a mother. We are a family of four- almost the average size family nation wide, and I feel like a family and that makes me feel a little old.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

I feel for you. I felt the same way when I had Russell. Having 2 kids under 2 is such a challenge that is why I waited to have my third a little longer. I felt the same way with Russell..I recovered and felt so much more normal after having him than I did with Callie even though I gained 50+ lbs with him. WEll good Luck. And if you ever need anyone to talk to give me a call.

Ming said...

I love this post. Jack turns 1 the end of this month and so inevitably number 2 has started to cross my mind. No plans yet, but this post really made me think about it all. It sounds like overall you are adjusting very well. Little Sam is so stinkin' cute!

Polliwog said...

This was a very tender post--tears were on the verge. I think you state it very well. There is beauty and joy in all of the new phases of life, but also a little mourning at the changes that have to occur to make room. (Out with the old in with the new-but the old was so good too) :)

Jeff and Chelsy said...

I couldn't have said it better. I remember when I got home, zack just seemed so big. Picking him up after not holding him for a couple days made him seem even bigger. It made me realize just how grown up he really was. Your second also grows up faster than your first becuase they mimic your first. I can't believe how fast it has gone!

DC Diva said...

Beautiful post Crystal. You said everything so well. Thanks for speaking from your heart and sharing.

The Tomlinsons said...

Crystal, what a great post! I totally empathize with feeling so bad for the neglected fist born child! I really struggled with that one. And 20 diapers in one day?! Wow, no wonder you feel proud when you can get a shower between all of those diaper changes!!! Hang in there. Before you know it Kate and Samuel will be cute little friends giggling and playing together:)

Zoey's Life said...

omg that si soooooooo cute congragulashouns that is you babys name