Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sunday Drive and Listen


For Sunday Conference we went on a drive. How lucky we are that we live in an area where we can listen on the radio no matter where we drive really. It really is a smart idea. We heard more conference this Sunday morning session than any other. Why? Because children were strapped into car seats and didn't need anything. We could even leave the doors open in the car and sit outside in the forest. That was one good reason for the drive.
The second reason, the fall colors.
There is something almost sacred to me about the roads that lead up the mountains on every side of the valley where we live, and where I spent many of my formative youth years.
Many times, whether by myself, or with one of my close friends, from the time I was 16, until, well still sometimes, I would make my way up the roads that wind up the mountains.
Usually when I needed a moment of clarity, time to think, or thirty minutes to communicate whether in my heart or out loud to my Heavenly Father. Sometimes it was planned, other times it was on my way to some where else I was suppose to be. Most often it was when I was confused or heart broken, trouble at home, or had a big decision to make. And some how the driving, the beauty, the quiet... and embarrassingly the EFY or Peter Breinholt music that was playing in my car, made the world alright.
Sometimes it was in the green spring or summer when I would admire the ponds and wild flowers.
But usually,
Usually it was in the fall.
The quilt like pattern of colors seen on the hills from the valley floor would call me up.
And it is without a doubt that a good portion of myself and my testimony was found driving the mountain roads distracted by gold trees and crisp air coming through my windows from ages 16-20.
Today as we listened to the prophets and apostles speak in that same environment, I found myself holding back tears, from the feeling driving the fall road still gives me.