Monday, December 17, 2007

Tradition, Tradition

I thought I would share some great holiday traditions that Jake and I do, or have started and plan to keep as traditions this year. In the comment box, leave some of your traditions too!

1. As I have shared before, each year Jake and I make goodies and take them around to neighbors, friends and relatives that live near by. We carol a song of two, and usually they invite us in. Sometimes it takes us two or three nights to get to everyone because we always stay and visit.
2. That tradition was spawned from Jake's family tradition of making treats and caroling. We also do this with his family when we got to Fresno for the holidays. Something unique about this is that they have a song I believe they made up that they sing at every house, something like" a caroling, a caroling, a caroling we go, hearts filled with music and cheeks a glow..." I think I have finally learned all the words.
3. Secret Santa- A lot of families do this, and this tradition spawned from my family's tradition of doing this growing up. We pick a family we know who could use a little extra Christmas and pick out a gift for each person as well as some food. I can remember doing this as a little kid and drawing pictures to go in the boxes. The best part is the doorbell ditching and running so you are not seen.
4. I don't love tons and tons of Christmas decor, but I do like nutcrackers. Each year I buy one that matches the year... for example last year when we moved to Heber I got a cowboy- this year I actually bought two. The first was just a short squaty one because I couldn't find a baby and he was baby-ish, but then I found a blonde girl in a red dress and bought it- because this year we had Kate. My mom did this growing up buying ornaments to match the year.
5. This tradition I made up this year. We get some store bought goodies- since the people receiving won't know us and may not want to each something strangers bring them, then we drive around the town trying to find the house who has decorated better than any other. Then we knock on their door and present to them the Freeman Family Christmas Spirit Award, a certificate and the goodies. Doesn't this sound like fun.

6 comments:

Polliwog said...

I love your new, made-up tradition. I might have to try that one year. :)

The Freemans did NOT make up the caroling song, though it is little known.

I love the tradition of special Christmas clothes and the Christmas card photo every year. Also my family has a big Christmas Eve dinner where we all pop Christmas crackers and tell the jokes and wear the crowns and feel silly. We usually have to get them at World Market or Williams Sonoma, but they had really nice ones at Costco this year!

The Kay Family said...

I might just have to steal your "Christmas Spirit Award" idea. That sounds like so much fun!! For our traditions. . . does fighting while putting up the tree count?? Seriously every year it happens!! No really, I love buying a new ornament and strand of lights every year. And making goodies for the neighbors!! Tis' the season!!

Anonymous said...

Crystal and Jake -

Here's a few traditions we like to do every year!

1. Homemake Christmas PJ's, one
of the only things I can sew!
2. Joe and I go to a shopping
plaza with $20 each and 1
one hour to find the perfect
gift. Then we meet at a nearby
restaurant and exchange the
gifts and have to tell why we
chose that gift.
3. 12 Days of Christmas to a
family in the area!

Traditions are wonderful aren't they! Thank you for being the wonderful people you are! Merry Christmas!
family

Dolphinsbarn said...

Remember how your treats always are AMAZING?!? When are you caroling in NY?

Joe said...

http://www.songs.panachio.com/xmas/CarolingWeGo.htm

Crystal here are the words to the song but haven't found the music yet.

Crystal and Jake said...

Joe and Karla-
Thanks for the lyrics- you are so thoughtful. Also- great traditions everyone, but Jake would especially like yours, because he wouldn't have to wait to open his present. He always gets me to let him open his presents before Christmas because once I have got it, he thinks he should get to have it.