Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bath Tub- My New Best Friend

The number of baths I have taken in my adult life did not exceed 20 until recently. I have good personal hygiene of course, I just never saw the appeal of a bath. Even my morning showers for me were more about efficiency than enjoyment. Well until I became a mother and found that the ten minutes I take in the shower are perhaps the only guilt free moments to myself I may get that day. Then came the home stretch of this pregnancy. With four weeks to go- it feels like the end. I think the only parts of me that are not experiencing discomfort or pain are my elbows. With about 80 weeks of pregnancy under my belt, I still have yet to determine whether I just have really hard pregnancies or are just more of a complainer that others I see and talk to. My shrek feet are back, I can't sleep for more than three hours on one side or it gets bruised, I still throw up five or six times a week, and my sciatica is back making my right leg buckle unexpectedly when I bare any weight on it. Then I tried a bath a few weeks ago to relieve some of my aches and pains. Being a woman I literally had years worth or bath salts, scrubs and creams given to me as gifts or favors that have just been sitting in baskets in my guest baths, or waiting in bathroom cupboards most likely never to fulfill their full potential. Now ever night before attempting to fall asleep, I spend some time in the tub. I am making a dent in that supply of Bath and Body Works products and I don't know that there any more enoyable 20 minutes of my day. For just a moment I feel almost normal.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Of all the things that I missed while serving in Central America a hot bath was definately among the top!

Ming said...

Oh yes! I LOVE baths. I am actually a big time bather prego or not prego, but I definitely took more baths when pregnant. You actually feel weightless (instead of like an elephant) and it soothes your sore muscles and is so relaxing. Yes, love the baths when pregnant...however only one complaint...my belly sticks up out of the water so it's always cold. Really I just need one of those big giant soaker tubs and then I wouldn't have this problem. Oh, and one more thing...I also love baths with a little Epsom Salt in the water post giving birth. Does wonders for the nether regions! ;)

Lauren said...

At least you have pregnancy as an excuse. I used to never take baths but over the past 6 months, for no apparent reason, I LOVE them! I only take showers when I am really rushed, so relaxing!

The Bennetts said...

So when I saw you at the library last week and said, How are you? And you said, Good or great or some other positive response it was all a lie. Tsk, tsk...Next time I see you I expect an honest report. I'm sorry you are having a rough last few weeks though. I can relate to you on every point about baths!

The Tomlinsons said...

Oh, I feel so bad for you. I am so sorry that you are in such pain. I bet the throwing up is sooooo old by now.

Good for you, you deserve the bath. Now you know how good it can be, don't give it up. Just enjoy.