Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving



We are getting ready for Thanksgiving around here. What am I most grateful for? Easiest question ever. These two of course, and the man I am proud to call my husband who I get to share them with.
Tomorrow Jake's three sisters and their families will be joining us for what I hope to be our best Thanksgiving yet. Aside from the Thanksgiving Jake and I had by ourselves our 1st year of marriage- where we cooked a small but complete entire Thanksgiving dinner for ourselves including a entire pumpkin pie a piece-this will be my first real hosted-by-me Thanksgiving.
To bad my entourage is not that much help-I've got lots to do.
I've already been to the store three times for the big event- partially because it took that many stores to find a turkey big enough to fed the crew- and it is not like I waited until today, I guess you have to go more than four days in advance if you want to biggest bird- now I know. I finally found us a 24 pounder who has been defrosting in the fridge ever since. What else does the menu include?

Hors d'oeuvre
Chilled Vegetable Platter
Assorted Crackers and Cheese

Beverage
Assorted Sparkling Cider

Dinner
Slow Roasted Turkey with Lemon
Mashed Red Potatoes with Garlic
Classic Brown Gravy
Slow Cooked Cornbread Stuffing
Cranberry Sauce
Three layer Jello Salad
Garden Salad
Pepperoni Pasta Salad
Homestyle Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallow Carmel Glaze
Homemade White Rolls with Honey Butter and Strawberry Jam

Dessert
All-you-can-eat Assorted Pies
Vanilla Ice Cream

Good thing I've already started the chopping/ baking/ roasting/cooking. I am looking forward to the meal, and even more so the company...and the leftovers. I think a lot of women stress out about cooking Thanksgiving. I think it is mildly stressful- mostly figuring out how to have everything perfectly warm at the same time with one oven. But I will take making Thanksgiving for everyone over traveling for the holidays any day. That really stresses me out- and turns my children into rabid mommy eating monsters. I am looking forward to staying home and remaining thankful for them instead.

Happy Thanksgiving- I hope it is safe, and delicious!

3 comments:

Kristine said...

You are brave! So I heard that mashed potatoes keep well in a crock pot for an hour or so.

Lindsie said...

Love the post - especially the part about the kids!! Too funny! Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!

DC Diva said...

What a menu! I'm impressed.