Saturday, December 18, 2010

We May Be Mobsters?



This was our Elantra.
We sold it last week.
We bought it when Jake was in law school.
I promised I would drive it too, even though it was a stick.
And I did.... maybe 6 times.
It was a great car for us. We brought home two babies from the hospital in the back seat.
And it repaired nicely when the deer ran into us.
And it always looked great.
Jake didn't want a black car when we went car shopping because it always looks dirty.
But then on the lot, he couldn't help but pick this car.
As time went on, and Jake began working from home, it was driven less and less.
And mostly sat in the garage, because though it got better gas mileage then my car, I refuse to move the car seats over.
So we decided to sell it.
Thinking we could either be a one family car, or maybe get a beater truck for Jake to drive instead.



This is my Rodeo.
I got her in 2001- I've had her longer than Jake.
And I will admit that when she was new, I couldn't drive a few miles without getting hit on.
I didn't know I wanted a black car really when she was purchased, it just ended up being the car with the right features and the right price.
I thought it looked good.
I can remember driving this car to my own wedding. She went about 80 miles an hour up University Parkway, when the lady that did my hair took 1.5 hours longer than she said she would.
I can remember driving her to LA and back in 30 hours on one of our best road trips ever when Jake was interviewing for jobs.
I can remember trying every baby mirror for sale to try to see my newborn Kate in the back while I was driving only to find that no baby mirror worked with the car.

We still have her.
We call her "The Zoo" now. Because she is and Isuzu, which sounds like zoo, and because she is always full of loud kids and food they have dropped from their "cages".
We will drive her forever and ever.
Two years ago, the dealership replaced her engine under warranty. It was like she was made new again. It was like we had won a car on Wheel of Fortune. The engine they put in it alone was worth more than the entire car.
So she still has lot of miles on her.
She is just Jake's car now. He claims he will take good care of her, and use her like a truck.
After all we have fit everything from counter tops to couches in her.


We've added a new car to the Freeman Family history of cars.
We had plans to get a newer- extra reliable car for me to drive the kids around in, and for all those road trips we seem to be taking more and more of.
We sold the Elantra for a little extra cash and room in the garage.
The new addition is a Honda Pilot.
We just got her yesterday, though the search for the perfect car took about 1 month.
We got this because it was almost perfect. New enough, but not so new we couldn't pay for it.
It seats 8. More secure than I have ever felt in the snow.
And best of all, has a DVD player. I think we might call this car "The Cinema"
The kids are stoked about the movie car, and we even let them watch part of a movie in the car while it was parked in the garage last night just for fun.
I am very happy about it. So happy I keep making excused to go and drive it.
The only thing not perfect is the color.
Did you see what color it is.... well I just stole the picture from the dealership website and it is not perfect, but I wanted to see it without being cover in salt and snow like it is now.

It is black.
Our third black car in a row.

And now we own two black SUV's.
I feel like mobsters.
And I think it is funny stuff.


Here is how they look in the garage,
2 Black SUV's side by side.

It is funny to have two matching SUV's when you actually don't want black cars.
But I guess "that's how we roll" literally in this family.
Why would I think we would end up with anything else but Black.

No comments: