Friday, February 25, 2011

Sam's Birthday Celebration



Jake thought to get Sam a tractor shirt. Sure he would want to wear it everyday and it would be funny to see. When Sam opened it at 1st he was confused and thought it was for Jake. When Jake explained it was for Sam and held it up to his chest, he immediately ripped his own shirt off and put on the tractor shirt. Then gave Jake a hug. Your parents know you well Sam.
Although the darling bow tie I got him he discarded as if it was wrapping.... ha!

A week or two before Sam's birthday I asked Kate what she wanted to get him. Quickly she thought of a tractor book and a snake. So I helped her get and wrap both things for him. I think she knows her brother and picked some great things for him.


Jake and I grabbed a few gifts for Sam last week. On our way out of the store we grabbed a small 2$ tractor. My thoughts were that I didn't want him to try to take his large tractor he was getting to bed with him, and that maybe he we would be able to trade him out for this smaller tractor. He opened the small blue tractor and did not put it down, and still has not. It is funny over all the gifts he got the small $2 tractor is his favorite thing. He did take it to bed with him too.
Grandma and Grandpa brought Sam this wagon. He has been loading his presents in it and pulling them around all day.

Grandpa and Grandma Anderson came to see Sam open his presents and eat his cake.
Every picture we try to take Sam just wants to show off the tractor shirt.






Sam saw this cake in the fridge about an hour before dinner. He got all kinds of excited. He tried to take it out. I helped him take it out and look at it. He didn't want to just look at it though, he wanted to eat it. He got his tractor plate- he had already been carrying it around- and begged for some. He was very upset when I wouldn't let him- then he said "put it back" in the fridge he meant, he helped me put it back, I think he decided if he couldn't eat it it would be safe in there until he could.
We have a tradition in our house that you get to blow the candles out lots of times. We just keep lighting and letting you blow them out. Why should you only get one wish after all. Plus then I get more than one picture. Sam didn't even let us get through "Happy Birthday" before he blew out the candle. Also he had fun licking the tractor candles. He actually didn't eat much cake.

At the end of birthday days for my husband and children, I always have this anxiety. Did they have a fun day? were they happy? did they feel special? I just want them to feel loved to badly. Sam was super amped up all day- indicating he was excited and knew it was a special day. When we sat down on this couch he gave me like 18 kisses. I should count this as reassurance that he had a great day, it seems to be a small thank you the only way my Sam knows how to say it.


After the party, and shortly before bedtime Jake went off to his basketball game.
Exhausted from the day, I sat on the couch to watch tv. The kids were playing with Sam's new things. Then laughing erupted from the kitchen. I guess this is the kind of mischievousness I can expect now having a three year old and a two year old.



Earlier yesterday for the birthday day with Sam we headed down to Orem to go to Pirate Island.
We had never been- but knew it was like chuckee cheese only better and pirate themed.
We were super pleased. Partly because we were literally the only people there.
The kids ate their pizza and salad buffet like champs, then enjoyed playing the games and rides.
Sam just wanted to sit and drive the arcade car regardless if the game was on or not. They rode the merry go round, climbed on the pirate ship and said "ARRRRR" like real pros over and over again. Sam had crossbones and skulls on his pants and he kept pointing to them and saying "ARRR" and throwing a fist up in the air.

We got home just in time for him to take his nap.
While he did Kate and I worked hard to make him a birthday party.
Kate was such a great helper. She kept saying things like " he is going to be so suprised, it is Sam's special day. this will make him so happy". In the morning when I told he it was Sam's birthday she was a bit dissappointed and told me we needed friends and people to come over, and decorations. So she was happy to help wrap gifts, and hang streamers and balloons.
Birthdays are always some of my favorite days. It is so much fun to celebrate somebody we love so much.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you're awesome.

Meagan said...

What a fun day! Happy Birthday Sam- he's is adorable- love the post with all his growing up pics, seriously so cute!

Ming said...

What an adorable little guy! I love that he loves tractors so much. How cute is that? You obviously made his day so special and have no reason to ever question that. You are such a fun/cute mom and your kids are so lucky to have you! Cute cute Sam.