Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mind of an almost 4 year old

Tomorrow we intend to celebrate Kate's birthday.
She has spent the last 8 weeks talking about her birthday.
What kind of decorations she wants, what she wants to do and what kind of cake she wants.
She decided on Strawberry Shortcake the character with a strawberry cake with pink whip cream and pink cookies too.
I searched at a few stores attempting to find Strawberry shortcake the character party things, but when I was unsuccessful I went another way. I ordered some stickers online as well as a little figurine for the cake. Then I printed and cut out pictures of the characters from the show and mod podged them onto party plates. When I showed her the things earlier this week she shouted with joy.... mom that is just what I wanted!!!
Then when we were at the grocery store earlier this week she saw a cake she wanted, so although I normally make the cakes, I bought it for her and it has been in the fridge since Wednesday.
It appeared I had done everything right to make a 4 year olds birthday dreams come true.
At least I had never tried so hard to get everything right.

She excitedly went to bed tonight saying when she woke up it would be her birthday.
Then within 20 minutes I heard her sobbing in her bed.
Sobbing as in real tears and hardly breathing.
I asked her what was wrong.
She told me she changed her mind and now wanted a pinky do (the lamest show ever) birthday with purple cookies and a purple cake.

Really.

I told her that these were silly things to be crying about.
She kept repeating her wants and dreams for her birthday.
I told her they don't make pinky do birthday stuff. I bet they don't. I had a hard enough time finding Strawberry shortcake and people actually know who that is.
That we could decide to use all the birthday stuff I had bought and made for her or something else we could find in the house tomorrow.

I tried to be really understanding of the drama.
But it was really hard.
And she was being really dramatic.
She has been planning her birthday since last birthday really.
It will really break my heart if she in no 100 % thrilled with her birthday celebration tomorrow.
I hope we can help her to remember what she really wants and have only a happy day with no more drama about silly things.

1 comment:

The Tomlinsons said...

OHHHH she is so cute. It is so sad that even at 4 they have so much drama in their lives. Life with little girls. Leah is very much the same, so I know how you feel.
Good luck with a very fun 4 year old birthday.