Wednesday, February 27, 2013

February 27, 2013




Today is "Dress Like you Favorite Character from a Book" Day at school.  Kate and I thought and thought about what she could be.  It is pretty tricky to try to think of both a book you like with a character you might be able to look like.  Then smart little her thought of something perfect.  "Pinkalicious"    So today we got ready for school with all the pink clothes we could find layered a top one another, our pink watch, pink hair ribbons, pink shoes, pink nails and lots of pink makeup.

The 2nd picture is of the Get Well Cards her class made her while she was sick and away for a whole week or school.  Two weekends ago Kate's lingering cold (from Jan 29th)  turned worse, and she had a fever again of 103, and she basically has been laying on the couch in my electric blanket for most the month whenever she is home.  With the spiked fever, I guessed that she had pneumonia so we got her into the doc.  Her and I went over.  And they were super concerned for her.  I hadn't really been, she didn't seem that sick to me.  But they sent us over to the hospital for every test imaginable.  After x-rays, blood work, and meeting with a respitoray therapist who did a nasal wash (which sounds kind enough but is basically an  NG tube)  we returned to  paediatricians.  Tests concluded that she did have pneumonia and also influenza B.  She was given an antibiotic shot and we were sent home with a script for more antibiotics.  Amidst the testing, I called Jake and asked him to come lend a hand because I hate doing those kind of things by myself, and I can't go into the x-ray lab pregnant, hold her in my lap for blood draws because I don't have one etc.  He took her home when we were done, and I went to get the script.  Lucky for Kate they happen to have a unicorn that projects stars on your ceiling at the pharmacy, something she has mentioned to me a time or two before.  Despite it being very overpriced it was purchased and brought home for my very brave girl.  I feel so bad for Kate and all the stuff she has to endure with all her illnesses.  As if tummy stuff was not enough, tests and shots for other stuff seems unfair.  She handled it as brave as she could and is such a trooper.  She got to spend the next two days watching movie cuddled up in my heating blanket and watching movies and was all better.    Kate has a great attitude and I'm so grateful she is our oldest.
This morning I woke up to her and Sam cleaning their room without being asked????  I'm not sure what spawned it other than love for me and wanting to be kind.