Monday, December 2, 2013

November 30, 2013





































Thanksgiving was pretty fantastic.  We hosted as many of Jake's family that could come and we ended up having 5 of the siblings, their spouses and families.  We were sad to miss his two siblings who couldn't make it and his parents who are currently serving a mission for the LDS church.  Jake and I agree it may have been one of our favorite in the past 10 years of marriage.  Here is the narration in pictures.

1.  We decorated a bit early on in the month- then a lot more the day before Thanksgiving
2-3.  Bethany has her first bits of chewable food her own personal feast- those puffers that melt in your mouth for babies.  She was over the moon excited about them.  When I gave them to her I felt like she would have said "finally" except that she was too busy scarfing them down and it is not one of the two words she says.
4.  Kate was suppose to try and dress like a pilgrim for school the day before Thanksgiving. She looked adorable in her blue dress and paper made hat and collar.
5-6.  Marianne is completely absorbed in the Macy's Day Thanksgiving Parade. We all watched together while we got things ready for our Thanksgiving and while Dad was away playing Basketball.
7-8  A bit more decorating.  I like to set the table a bit for Thanksgiving.  Place cards and nice silverware for the adults.  Coloring placemats, crayons, and pilgrim photo props for kids tables.  I had to borrow two different tables from friends.  We ended up having an adult table of 10, a big kid table of 6, a middle kid table of 6 and a mini kid table of 5.  And a high chair for Bethany. Happily it all fit fine in the house and looked adorable.  It is kind of my favorite part of Thanksgiving Prep.  I didn't think I would have time to do any, but the night before and morning of I rounded up a few things around the house and printed a few things and it worked out great.
9-12.  Kate, Samuel and Marianne working the photo props at the kids tables.
13 The turkey.  I had to go to three stores to find a turkey I felt would accommodate our crowd of 27.  I found this 23lb beauty at Costco.  I decided if I did a Ham too it was big enough, and it was- though we are already out of leftovers.  I have cooked turkey for Thanksgiving many times, I always do it the same way, in the bag with butter, salt and pepper, and a little thyme.  It turned out beautifully.
14.  My entire counter was full of crock pots.  I cooked a lot of food.  And people brought a lot of food. We had a LOT of food.  It was all delicious.
15-17.  The kids tables.  The kids were all so good. Somehow Jake and I hardly get to talk at normal evening dinner, but we stuck all the kids at their tables with their cousins, and I felt like the 10 adults got to sit and eat without too much interruption from even the very little kids  There was laughing and good conversation, and I remembered how lucky I am to have all of my brother and sister in laws be such good friends.  I think it is rare that you have 10 adults for Thanksgiving and they all genuinely like hanging out together.
18.  The Pie.  There was a lot.  And it was all amazing.  I had so much great help from wonderful sister-in-laws who brought not only pie, but potatoes, salad, rolls, sweet potatoes, and jello.  It was all beautiful and delicious. Before pie, we played BINGO with white elephant prizes- an anderson family tradition.
19.  Little gave me more delight that day than watching Marianne devour pie happily
20. Oh there is Bethany, she was there at Thanksgiving too
21.  All the cousins that were at our Thanksgiving minus Bethy who was sleeping.  We hardly saw our kids for two days, as they were just running around the house and yard with cousins they adore.  We were so happy it was so warm out that they kids played outside, rode bikes, dug in the dirt, jumped on the tramp and were all over the place.  It reminded me of growing up with my cousins and being set free for a few days and loving it.
other things not pictured.  There was football throwing in the backyard, ad shopping and Black Friday  shopping both on Thursday night and Friday day.
It was a lot of work, but a gorgeous, delicious, fun Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Polliwog said...

It truly was wonderful. We were so glad to have been there with everyone. Thanks for being brave (crazy?) enough to do it. You are an amazing hostess! See you soon!

lilybit said...

What a wonderful group, I am so grateful for all of your effort even though we weren't able to make it. I still I have never cooked a thanksgiving turkey.

The Kay Family said...

You are a great hostess, Crystal!