Thursday, January 28, 2010

Life is getting Simpler Still.

#1 Homemade laundry bag the size of a small adult woman
We have gone through so many hampers and laundry type bags the last few years. I don't know what the architect genius who designed our home was thinking when he decided to put the laundry room on the main floor, and all the bedrooms on the 2nd floor. This decision leaves me hauling loads and loads of laundry up and down the stairs every day. My life is so rough huh? I am complaining about moving laundry. After another worn through bag I decided enough was enough. I took a sheet sewed it into a long rectangular bag and used some scraps for handles. Not only did it cost me nothing it is actually big enough to fit a day or two of laundry in it.... which is somehow like seven loads of laundry. Remember when we didn't have a washer or dryer for the first four years of our marriage. What were we thinking?
All I know is- Laundry Bag I can fit in = a few less trips up and down the stairs.

#2 1 TB of external memory.
If you asked me what the most valuable material possession I owned was I would answer you in under one second flat that my pictures are what I prize above any other THING in my house. Jake and I headed to Best Buy on Saturday to pick him up a new netbook and we found this on sale for $99. That may seem like a lot for something I may never use- but it helps free up just one more ounce of energy I spend stressing out every time my computer seems to be on the edge of malfunction. I loaded every picture I have since 2002 which was around 6,000, every home video, my journal (which I have been keeping in a word file since 2002 which I highly recommend), digital copies of the scrapbooks I have created for the children, and anything else that seemed mildly important to me onto it in one simply hour. Then whisked it away to my fire safe and locked it up for safe keeping. I also went ahead and loaded the 6000 + pictures to shutterly.com for a back up to my backup. Now I will surely never have to rely on my own memory to remember the last wonderful eight years.
This 1TB of memory looks like a beautiful bar of minted silver but I would say it is worth it's weight in gold.


#3 A Garlic Press
This may seem like such a simple thing. And it is. The rest of the universe likely received one as a wedding gift and didn't think twice about it. I cook quite a bit, especially since I quit working and became a full time wife. I use to spend the time dicing and pressing my garlic for recipes by hand. Likely once a week. A few months ago, I purchase a garlic press for myself. Yup- I caved and spent all of $6.00 or so on a simple kitchen utensil. It has changed dinner prep in a minor way- but one minute a week for a year is almost an hour a year doing something as pointless as prepping garlic. I think I will be browsing the kitchen utensil selection at Smith's on a more regular basis for more normal modern kitchen conveniences.

What is new in your life making it that much simpler?

3 comments:

Polliwog said...

Yeah, I just buy the big container of garlic and dip my teaspoon in. Tastes great and is super easy.

What else?
I bring my mail in through the garage and go through it then and there, dumping all recycling straight into the bin so I never have to see it in the house.

I have two bars of 8 hooks each mounted just outside my garage door--one low and one high--where all jackets and coats go. They don't enter the house either.

I have hooks mounted inside the girls' closets for their backpacks and scripture totes.

That's all I can think of right now. I love hooks. A place for everything, you know. :)

Love your laundry bag! Very creative and thrifty of you.

DC Diva said...

Great post! Those laundry bags are cute! We have an external hard drive and it helps me sleep at night too. ;)

LaCee Clayburn said...

I got a Terabite external hard drive for Christmas, my hubby loves me :), it was the only thing I wanted so I could have all my photos in one place, I was so tired of looking for a photo and having to look on 2 different laptops, a desktop and 2 USB drives (1 gig and 4 gig) before I'd finally find what I wanted! Now it's all in one place, though I think I've definitely got you beat on how many photos I have, I've totaled about 4,000 per year since 2003 and counting...

Hey, you also sound like you really should check out my Heritage Makers, seeing how much you love your photos, that's what we're about is photos and preserving them safely and beautifully. I'd love to talk to you some more about it :), I'm serious here! www.storiesfromyourpast.com