Monday, November 29, 2010

Stiches for Sammy


Today as lunch finished Sam and Kate were playing roughly in the living room when Jake and I heard a thunk. Followed by a cry. I went to comfort Sam, for he had run into the corner of the wall. I hugged him, then pulled back to see the goose egg, and found a gushing head wound instead. In half a second I could see it was going to take stitches, and in about 1 minute we were in the car. Two more minutes and we were at the ER. I called my mom on the way to go over and watch Kate so Jake could come too and help me hold him down while they stitched him up, remembering when Kate got stitches and I could hardly hold her still enough. I quickly glanced in my car mirror before heading in to the ER thankfully to find my face literally covered in Sam's blood. I cleaned up a bit for the sake of not looking over dramatic. By the time Jake arrived the bleeding at stopped. The crying had stopped on the drive over and we were contently playing with a sticker and cuddling. Thankfully our family doctor was the doctor on call. He numbed the wound, then we held him while Doc put in 6 stitches. He was such a trooper and only cried during the numbing shot and then let us hold him and the medical personal inspect and sew away without even moving. From then on he didn't let out a whimper and was his sweet self waving to everyone and pointing out things. Bonus the Doctor even confirmed the ear infection I had been suspecting all vacation and got us a prescription for that as well. He should be all healed up by Friday, and we will go back to get the stitches out. My poor little Sammy!
Kate had her stitches in November of last year. I guess it is just a bad month for head wounds in our family.

2 comments:

amy + jeff said...

Poor Sammy, sorry I didn't have more to day when you called earlier to tell me the tale

Reynolds said...

Crazy times for your little Sammy. It looks like he's none the worse for wear, though. Glad you made it back safely and had a pretty good time with all things considered.