Sunday, May 15, 2011

If only it were Sunday every day.








My kids take hilarious pictures.

This weekend was a fast one. Jake was camping with the Boy Scouts which meant I attempted to be extra fun for the kids. We went on a picnic at Sundance on Friday night. Sadly only after our picnic did I see a sign 5 feet away that said "no picnicking". Kate was sure to tell me exactly how to go on a picnic, and how Dad was camping. Somehow she knows everything about everything lately despite the fact she has no experience doing something. For example she has never been real camping, but she informed me that Dad needed a tent, a marshmallow, a stick, and a firecracker to start a fire. Yup that is about all the camping essentials. She also was sure we were in the wrong place for a picnic, and that the forest (Sundance) was were you camped not picnicked.

Saturday Jake and I saw each other long enough to trade off kids. I did chores in the yard and house all morning with the kids, then he did chores in the yard all afternoon with the kids. I had a photo shoot scheduled with a family, who canceled last minute. Happily we planned a date last minute. Sadly the family called and wanted to be back on last last minute. I headed up Provo Canyon. We did pictures. We were interrupted by.... SNOW! I raced home and we still managed to have a date last last last minute. it consisted of going to dinner- and the grocery store. I observed that we always run to the grocery store on our dates. And I was not complaining, we usually buy things like milk, light bulbs and Ben and Jerry's.

Then it was Sunday.
I kind of love Sunday. Except for the waking up early part.
Today I awoke to children eating blueberry pancakes that had been prepared for them by their loving father. It is funny. But if I had to tell you what a happy home smells like... I'd tell you blueberry pancakes. We all know how bad my morning sickness is and has been this pregnancy. Which is why the smell of blueberry pancakes is really the smell of love. It means Jake got up with the kids, I slept through the worst few hours of my sickness, and not only are they being watched, he has made them a wholesome breakfast that they will eat. And despite Kate's claim this morning that Dad always forgets to save some for me, there are always some set aside for me even if I have to reheat them because I slept in that long.

Today we were only 10 minutes late for church. We try, we really do. And I'm kind of early to everything, so you know we are trying. Generally our lateness is due to me trying to get ready but having to take breaks to puke, not the kids. But we make it before the sacrament, and usually nobody even sits in "our pew". Plus even I am surprised how well my kids clean up. Getting the dirt from the backyard off their faces, actually brushing their hair and making them wear clothes that don't have hole in the knees is a great start. Then I dress them in matching blue and white gingham and it gets a ridiculously adorable.

We returned home with a few church responsibilities to take care of, then it was naps for everyone but Jake. We played a bit in the backyard, discovered we have peas, onions, radishes, peppers, squash and tomatoes all beginning to grow.

We ate a very Sunday dinner of roast and artichokes.
Lately I prepare a meal for my family, and realize I could easily devour the whole thing myself. Especially when the dinner smells as good as my roast and artichokes did. Why are there never artichokes on menus at restaurants? I would order them. I would order them often and pay way to much for them. Kind of like I do when a dish says it has avocados.

Currently Jake is off sand bagging to prevent flooding for some neighbors again. I hope they finish soon, because he took off after dinner and didn't take a sweatshirt and it is now dark and cold. This is the 2nd time they sandbagged this week, and I think my man looks really cute headed out the door with a shovel, holey jeans and work gloves. Jake away means the kids are up in my bed eating popcorn, ice, and watching "Fireman Sam" a new favorite cartoon in our house for obvious reasons. Not only is our Sam watching the show, he is dressed in a fireman costume to do so.

Jake and I have talked over the years about the Sunday night dread. That is how we both have felt sometimes knowing the weekend is over and you have to go to a job you don't love in the morning. More recently we have talked about how having jobs we love makes the Sunday dread go away, making Sundays that much better. How blessed we are.

Also I don't feel obligated to clean one inch of my house on Sunday.

Thanks Sunday.

2 comments:

The Tomlinsons said...

I loved this post, Crystal! I'm so sorry you feel so yucky! That makes it so hard to function and do the day to day necessities. I hope you feel better soon! I love that your life is similar to mine, in that we are mommies and wives and we try our best, and try to find the joy in the simple, everyday things. Thanks for the reminder!

DawnTreader said...

Oh, to be a Freeman in another life! This post is what Marianne calls "hilars."

We wanna get together with you guys sometime soon!