Monday, May 16, 2011

Slivers and Pirates


Our days around here get funnier and funnier.
Today the kids headed out to play outside. They found an old piece of fence wood and some garden stakes I had put by the trash to get thrown out. I told them not to play with them several times. They continued. They were "building something" and they were playing nice. Kate came inside with a cut. I put a bandage on it fast and let her go back outside. Then I put them both in the bath after lunch. I noticed the cut was really a splinter. And after the bath I recruited Jake to help me get it out. The minute she saw the tweezers and needles coming out she started crying. Crying, Screaming, yelling, bargaining. She kept saying she was really scared, that she didn't like "that pokey thing", then would say things like "Let me just ask you something first." " Wait a minute, just one minute" We ended up pinning her down and trying but she was fighting us both so hard we couldn't get it out.
Sam was watching this whole ordeal. He seemed concerned and worried. I thought he feared for his sister. While we were chasing Kate down we noticed him look at his own hand. The worried look he was giving us, was that he realized he had the same problem- a sliver in his hand- but her wasn't saying a word about it. He didn't want us to see. We did though, and gave Kate a break for her complete melt down, and held Sam down. He freaked out and screamed and tried to run, but only because Kate had. His sliver was out in about 20 seconds.
Then it was back to Kate. Jake eventually held her down long enough for me to dig it out.
It was traumatic, and took more than a half an hour of fighting and chasing. And although it was sad, Jake and I both laughed a little over all the drama.

Later we went for family night to the Pirate Island in Orem. The kids were excited about the Pirates and games. Each time Kate won some tickets she would hold them up, count each one and proclaim "look I won" Kate and Sam both got a pirate patch with their tickets in the end, and some candy. Sam wore his pirate patch though he could hardly see for most the night until he went to bed and was thrilled to be a pirate for the night. The kids love pirates. I think Kate has decided the entire family should be pirates for Halloween. I hope she keeps thinking this.

No comments: