Tuesday, July 8, 2014

July 2, 2014

On the first day Jake was gone for scout camp Monday, Sam's bike tire went flat.  Like dead.  I told him Dad would get him a new tire or fix it when he came home at the end of the week.  This patient boy who rides his bike for hours a day was alright with that, and found other things to do all week like play baseball and ride a scooter and other things.  When Jake came home he looked at the bike and decided it was not fixable, and that they would go by a new tire, but really Sam needed a new bike anyways and since the tire is 1/3 the price of his old bike, we talked about getting a new bike.  Sam said- "lets make a deal"  I'll give you all my money and you buy me a bike and make up the rest.  I loved it.  Because I just had read him the parable of the bicycle a children's book in which grace is explained with a Dad buying the bike when a girl contrinutes all she has.  So he got his piggy bank.  Counted his money- had $39, and he and Jake and Mari went to Walmart to buy a new bike.  They had one bike in the right size, it also had a flat tire, but believing they could blow the tire up they bought the tire anyways.  They got it home, and could not fix it.  At this point a very anxious boy who had been waiting all week for a bike to ride could have understandabley broken down in tears.  He knew there were no other bikes at the store  But he didn't. He trusted his Dad would make everything right.  So back to the store they went  And asked if the store would put a new tire on the bike since it was broken when they purchased it.  They took it in the back and attempted to fix the tire or put a new tire on the bike.  Sam and Jake and Mari waited and wandered around the store, until the called Jake's phone.  They couldn't fix it.  Almost defeated they said they HAD found another bike in the back that hadn't put it out yet and Sam could look at it if he wanted and have it instead- even though it was a more expensive bike.  Jake reports they pulled it out from the back and Sam was like "YES".  It was about the coolest bike a five year old boy ever saw, with a trick jump bar, in bright orange.  He was so excited.  And loves it.  And has been riding that bike as often as possible since he brought it home.
I told Sam how proud I was of him.  He displayed such amazing patience and understanding.  He didn't whine or complain.  And in the end the prize he got was even better than he had planned.  I hope he rememebers the lessons he learned on Saturday. And my heart was so happy when he finally got a bike his heart had hoped for.
I was also proud of Mari, who went along and supported Sam and didn't ask for anything but some gum despite her brother getting a big prize for no reason.
I am proud of Mari for being so patient too still waiting for her birthday to come when everyone else has had theirs.  She talks about it daily.  That girls is hilarious lately.  She told me when she grows up  she wants to play t-ball yesterday.  She has been patiently sitting and watching Sam and kate play a lot of T-ball and wants to when she grows up.  Then she told me what she really wants to be is a super hero.  She is so in love with Panda bears lately which she calls "Candas" and it is adorable.  When Jake was gone at scout camp he was able to call us once  He talked to each kid and as Mari talked on the phone I watched her giggle and be so bashful like she was talking to her boyfriend on the phone.  She is still so loving and gives so much love.
A few days later when she woke up she called for me to come get her and I did.  I happen to be wearing a casual purple dress I don't often wear. Mari said to me "Mom whats that dress?" as he saw me kind of in a disgusting way. And I replied it was just a dress  "Oh- you look like a princess"  she continues happily.
My sweet Bethy has croup- in the middle of summer.  She has been getting a lot of extra cuddle time.   i dont' think there is anything better then when she sucks her thumb and leans into me to rest.  I wish she wold stay forever. Recently she and i rode down the drive way on a wiggle car over and over and over again for over an hour.  She loved it.  So much that if the front door is open she is out it in seconds looking for the wiggle car, and constantly trying to put her own shoes on because she knows it means she gets to go somewhere.  Also if Jake or I leave for a bit and come back she is always the first to greet you and give you a big hug.
Kate tummy troubles seem to finally be resolving.  After 6 years of medicine and doctors office and constant worry.  This to me is life changing.  Life changing.  To have this constant worry, that we might end up at the hospital again. I know that her and my relationship has taken a bit of a hit because of this health problem.  Because what seems like me controlling her or denying her things is just me trying to prevent her from having to be hospitalized again.  But it seems that diet, medicine, time, chiropractic care, and more prayers than I could ever count he is on the mend.  6 years is a long time to worry about the same thing. But we are at least to a point that she never has to miss school, or an activity or play date because of it. In fact we don't have to wait at home anymore, and being trapped in our house waiting for poop is in the past.  I am so grateful.
Kate may have more friends than any 7 year old ever.  At least it seems that way.  She is always making a new friends and playing with them outside.  I think there were about 10 kids in our backyard all day today that didn't belong to us.  I'm so happy she is so confident.  I do hate the drama that seems to come with 2nd grade girls though.  Somebody is always not being her friend today, has a new best friend, or something and hurts her feelings.



1 comment:

lilybit said...

You are a good mother.