Wednesday, November 7, 2007



Yesterday was Election Day, and as always Jake and I went together to vote. The thing about voting is, I am not sure how accurate it really is. In the last two years Jake and I have encountered errors with our voting, and I am sure others have found the same. Last year I voted under my new address at our new home in Heber, however my mom stated I was also registered at her address, as she saw me listed under her name, and I can only guess i was also still registered in Provo under our old address as our move had been very recent. This means had I wished to spend all day running around, and I did not fear the criminal punishment associated with casting illegal votes, i could have cast my vote thrice. Yesterday our voting experience was similarly flawed. Nobody asked to check our IDs we just walked in, signed under our name and were given those new credit card like voting cards. I voted than waited patiently for Jake to finish. He seemed to be confused and taking a while. When he joined me, I asked him how he voted, not only had we not voted the same, our ballots were different. They had different names, different referendums. Further discussion lead us to believe that my ballot was correct, but Jake's ballot was for a neighboring city. Are you kidding me? I know the people are volunteers at the voting polls, but I think this is a little absurd. What do you think? Have you any interesting voting stories from yesterday or years past?

4 comments:

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

i've given up on voting for many reasons (though, if i lived in heber, i might vote, since i would actually care about what was happening...in provo, not so much), one of those reasons being the ridiculousness you wrote about. if the whole process is that absurd, than, what's the point?

The Kay Family said...

In Washington our registration was all confused too from moving so we just went to the court house. they had those long tables with manilla folders on end, blocking us from "cheating" off the person next to us! Pretty fun!

Joe said...

There is still a point.... It is just our responsibility to make sure/encourage our system of counting votes to improve.

Polliwog said...

Right on! Voting is awesome. There must not have been anything to vote about here, since I never heard a word about anywhere, any issue, anything. So weird. When we lived in San Francisco there were always PLENTY of items on the ballot. (Should city workers have sex-change operations paid for by the city, for instance. Can you guess which way I voted?)