Thursday, November 29, 2007

Christmas Top Ten


Everyone loves the holidays, but here are the top reasons why I do.

1.Getting the mail. During the holidays there is always a card or a package. No other time, except maybe when you have a baby, does the getting the mail always seem to result in your favor.
2. Christmas Caroling. Each year since we wed, Jake and I, just the two of us-will rehearse a song or two, make some goodies and head off to visit those we appreciate and love. We usually hit five or six families in the ward, as well as relatives that live nearby. I have to say that it is a tough call what is better, my treats or the singing!
3. On that note, the treats I make. White chocolate and peppermint popcorn, peanutbutter balls, and this year portable smores and joined the ranks! Not only do I like to eat these, I like to share them, mostly because I get rave reviews- I know that is silly!
4. Grandma's stockings. My Grandma Elaine has made each of her children, grandchildren and now great grandchildren these wonderful handcrafted stockings. She gave me Kate's at Thanksgiving and I am excited to have them hung up for the holidays.
5. Getting together with those I don't see often. I think this is one of everyone's favorite things about the holidays. This year we plan on spending about a week with Jake's family!
6. No work! Jake will have off for about a week at once and I will get him all to myself.
7. Decorating my tree. Jake and I have never had a real tree in five years. Why? well they are costly, and were too big for our old home, not very "green", a hassle, a fire hazard, we are usually not even home on Christmas, and this year, well Kate is my excuse. Really I might like a real tree, but it just seems more convient to keep making excuses. I decorate little fake ones usually instead. This takes some creativity. I have an assortment of mismatched ornaments that people have given me or I have made, but my misfit, fake tree usually turns out nice. It is easy to make a real tree look great with matching store bought decor, but my way is much more challenging.
8. Shopping. I love the hustle and bustle, the crowds, the music and decor. It is really a exciting experience to me, and I know not everyone feels this way.
9.Finding that perfect present. In general I think shopping for gifts is costly, stressful, and a lot of pressure to find something that somebody will really like. But when you find that perfect present there is nothing better. I am done with my shopping this year and I feel as though every gift is a homerun.
10. Remembering Christ's birth as well as his life and death. How grateful I am for a season to truly celebrate him and all he has done for me.

5 comments:

DC Diva said...

Amen x 10! Can you please come carol at my apartment and bring your treats along? Please? My mom makes those exact same stockings -- love them!

Keysha said...

I want some of your yummy treats :) Sounds like you are quite festive...I am yet to put up my tree (I am dreading Myka pulling everything off of it!) Oh well, 'tis the season! Loved the list.....!

The Kay Family said...

GREAT LIST!! Soooo. . . wanna post some recipes for those of us that won't be recieving your goodies this year?? They sound delish!!!

Amy said...

This is a great list! I would LOVE your white chocolate and peppermint popcorn recipe if it's one you're willing to share :) I am jeleous of your completed Chrismtas shopping. I'm feel more stumped this year than ever before on most everyone on my list... except Easton, cause he's easy!

Unknown said...

We are really looking forward to seeing you soon!