Friday, January 25, 2008

Not Much is New....Obviously

Unlike most twenty five years olds, who have been to the dentist's office fifty or more times- twice a year for their entire lives, I have only been a handful of times. In fact yesterday marked only the third time in my life I have had a dental appointment. Really? Does crystal have this poor of hygiene? Well no, the truth of the matter is that my father is a dentist, so he we just have us come in in the evening, clean and check for problems. Even occasionally he would fix a family members teeth in what others have referred to as "the scary dental room" a unfinished bathroom in my parents basement with a dental chair- if you are having trouble picturing it just think the 1980's Batman film when Joker gets his plastic surgery. But since my father's retirement I have had to spread my wings and see someone else. It is s surreal experience in many ways. First of all you see a hygienist.... one who talks to you like you can talk back, and talks to you as though you are four, and talks to you like you have no basic understanding of the mouth. I realize being the daughter of a dentist, and also now working for a dental magazine, I understand dental lingo more than the average patient.....but do the general public really need "enamel" explained to them? Of course I can't wince and complain like I might if my father was cleaning my teeth, I don't want to be difficult to these strangers. And the kicker.... well I go to this dentist because he is friends with my father. A few years ago when he built his office he asked my dad for some suggestions and lets just say he built an identical office. My fathers in California, and this one in Heberlandia, are identical. So there I sit in an office I grew up in, only it isn't, with a hygienist that talks to me like I am an idiot, going through something I should have before Kindergarten, my third dental appointment. I realize to most of you reading, going to the dentist is not an event, but I thought you might enjoy hearing how it is an event to me. And in case you are wondering..... not a cavity yet!

3 comments:

KEYSHA said...

Good girl! You must brush, floss and clean your teeth regularly! I too am yet to have a cavity! (Knock on wood)

Unknown said...

how funny crystal! I never would have guessed that you were dental visit deprived! :o)

DawnTreader said...

I've had lots of cavities, and it's worth it for the nitrous oxide.