Monday, January 14, 2008

Favorite Thing #1

I thought I would start a new feature on my blog (and I won't mind if anyone decides to copy) where I feature funny things I just can't get enough of.

To kick off this new feature... I give you Pico de Gallo. I am not sure why it is named after the beak of a rooster, but I do know it is one thing i can't get enough of. For New Years I bought some Pico de Gallo from the store. It had been a while since I had eaten this deliciousness and had forgotten my obsession with it. I had some again when Jake and I went out to eat last weekend, and thus decided I would try my hand at making my own. For those of you who have some how reached adulthood and not discovered the difference between salsa and pico de gallo, let me clue you in.... Pico is not as spicy, much chunkier and very fresh, I don't like salsa on chips, but I can eat Pico with a spoon. I just kind of winged it after looking at a recipe on-line. I thought it was going to be very labor intensive, but it only took about 30 minutes. Some people try to do theirs in a magic bullet or blender but I would advise against this, it makes it too runny.
2-4 tomatoes depending on size
3/4 white onion
4 springs cilantro
2 green onions
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1/3 fresh jalapeno seeded
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 fresh squeezed lime
Just dice and slice everything up and stir it all together.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this recipe. I love this stuff, but I also really love homemade salsa! What a cute new post idea. I can't wait for your next one.

KEYSHA said...

I never knew that's what Pico de Gallo was?? (Beak of a rooster....) That recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I have eaten it before without realizing it and just last weekend came to the realization as we were munching on chips with Dave and Em. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Now I will have to try it too.

Ali said...

I made a fajita dinner for a group of friends on Sunday and tried out your pico recipe. It was a huge hit!! We loved it and Travis couldn't get enough. I will have to make it again soon. Thanks for sharing the deliciousness.