Friday, August 13, 2010

McDonalds, Marshmallows and Super Readers


It is not like Jake camping with the Scouts is any kind of rare occurrence.
But I still seem to make each evening alone with the kids into some kind of holiday.
Mostly because it helps the evening go faster, easier, and some how seem less lonely.

This evening the kids got some pretty sweet McDonald's Happy meals, then ate these face size marshmallows while watching Super Readers.

More than anything it seems like Jake being gone= us eating like we are ten-year-olds without parents. I am not sure why having him gone gives me all the reason I need to not cook dinner and serve my children everything that is wrong with our food system.
But this is what seems to happen every time.

It is more than likely than not, that I will eat a sleeve of Oreo Cookies by myself as I online shop after the kids go to bed tonight too.

That is just how we roll without a father figure I guess.

My conscious has already come to terms with it.

4 comments:

jolley time said...

I love to hear that you do the same things we do. when steve does his scout camp outs he usually take Conner. this means barbie movies, ice cream and toe nail painting. I also make sure the girls night ends soon enough for me to watch one good chick flick before I double lock all the doors and sleep with half the lights in the house on. I am a chicken.

Julander Family said...

It must be pretty normal Crystal, because I am the same way when Pete is missing in action. Bring on the fast food and lazy evenings. It's just not worth cooking a good meal when you don't know if you'll be the only one to eat more than a bite or too. Fast food means smiles and no whining! And junk food garantees a few giggles to go with it all! I'd say my conscience is clear too, but it seems to creep in while I'm eating that icecream and watching hulu!!!

Kyle and Amy said...

I love your little blondies! When did Sam go from a baby to a kid? Hes so big and so cute!

Lindsay said...

*sigh* I know what you mean. The bad thing is that Brian seems to be gone more nights than he's home now-a-days (silly residency) and the 'fun eating' has lost it's charm and is starting to feel gross to even my kids, now! You can only eat pancakes for dinner so many times. :) So, bring on the spaghetti with store-bought sauce and baked (microwaved) potatoes!

And, I would have LOVED to be there for the reunion - I've heard fun things about it! We actually had to leave Utah the weekend before it, though. Too bad Brian's family reunion couldn't have lined up just a little bit better. :) It would have been fun to see you. If you get time (and the desire) you should blog about it - it would be fun to read about it.

End of really long comment.