Friday, March 11, 2011

Disney On Ice- A Tragedy




Yesterday afternoon a commercial for Disney on Ice came on the television saying they were opening tonight. My favorite two year old excitedly pointed to the tv yelling "Buzz" and the character skated across the screen. So on a whim I got us all tickets and anticipated the fun our family would have later that evening.
I'll admit we've been suffering from runny noses around here, but nothing serious enough to keep us away from a peek a "Mackey" and the gang. Kate dressed up like Ariel and we were off.
The kids seemed a little bit tired, but we made it to Salt Lake with time to spare. We walked around, convinced the children they didn't need $22 glow in the dark wands, and found our seats. The show started and it seemed our children were not interested, I whispered to Jake "whats the deal, or kids sit better for Sacrament Meeting" and it was true. Then we traded kids, putting Sam on my lap. He was burning up. My mom thermometer put him at 103 or so. The show was more than half way done, so I had him drink the frozen water bottle I had brought, then Jake regrettably bought some $10 snow cones. He regretted the fact they were $10. I regretted they were red and blue. You'll see why in a minute. After the snow cones everyone perked up a bit, plus Buzz came out. Kate did seemed pleased to have seen the princesses. But mostly I was disappointed. Not only did I spent the entire time worried about Sam, and not feeling to fabulous myself, I had imagined all the fun we were suppose to be having, and I was let down. We made it to the car and within minutes both kids were sleeping.
Unfortunately in Parley's Canyon Sam woke up to throw up- that snow cone was now purple slop all over him and the car.
At home we got Kate in bed, cleaned up Sam and finally got to bed around midnight.
I suppose it was selfish to think my kids were well enough to have some fun.
But I also find it most tragic that the little colds turned so much worse literally as we were waiting for the show to start. The 3 pictures we took were from that waiting time.
It does serve us right in a way. We've steered clear of most of this all winter. Mostly because I've felt so crummy we never go anywhere. And we did go to the pediatrician's office for Well checks last week.... the breeding ground for this sort of thing.
The funny thing is whenever we have something to look forward to it seems something prevents us from going- usually illness. But this time the fun wasn't planned- just last minute. How could something spoil our plans in a few hours.
Ugg.
Now we are going to spend the weekend trying to breath.
Perhaps by the time we are better it will be Spring and we can have some fun outside.

1 comment:

The Tomlinsons said...

Red and Blue....yep that wasn't good.

Disney on Ice is such a great show. We took Leah when she was a little girl and it was so much fun.