Sunday, March 27, 2011

Jake is 32!

Jake is celebrating his 32 birthday today.
Well really all week in small pieces.
I think he would agree it has been one of the best years of the 32.
I would comment that that is because we spent more time together as a family than was ever possible before.
Happily because Jake's working from home plan is working out so well.

Sadly his office was looking like this.
It had become the temporary storage while we refinished the basement starting back in November.
With us still working on (but very close to finishing) the rest of the basement I couldn't let him work in this disaster any longer.
What is that- a microwave? our christmas decorations, furniture with no place?
Oh and flat white primer on the walls.
I think his computer is somewhere around here!
How was he even running a successful business out of this hole?
For his birthday we surprised him and sent him away for the day.
We 1st had to clean out everything, then the walls got real paint.
New furniture and accessories, a CD player and a selection of books on tape finished the room off.
Now when he meets with clients, they won't have to sit on the old microwave.
It is a much better arrangement.
Since then sometimes I sneak down in the middle of the day just to sit in the cleanest, prettiest room in our house.
We had a cake and some presents the kids picked out for him too.
When the kids pick out presents for you it is the best.
A Thomas the Train card- a nerf ball and a squirt gun.
Yesterday for his birthday I planned a date for just the two of us.
Forgive the horrible pictures- they were taken with my video camera.
Just the two of us haven't been on a date other than a quick trip to buy Christmas gifts in secret since, I'm going to go with October. How pathetic.
We decided to try Joe's Crab Shack for dinner. Not only had we never eaten here- we also basically got free parking for the soccer game later because it is across the street. Jake and I always say we don't eat seafood. We don't. That is because we think we don't like it. That is because we both got really bad food poisoning from it years ago.
Turns out we really do like shrimp and crab legs though on special occasion.
Whole buckets full of them.
Really we haven't decided if we like the food so much because of what it was, or because it is the 1st meal we have eaten without our children in several months.
Either way- I am already planning on eating my weight in crab legs when we go to the coast in April.


Jake and I at the Real SL game.
It was our 1st time at the new stadium and it was so much fun. They have crazy fans, and it was a full house. It only rained on us a bit too though the forecast had predicted lots of snow. They played LA Galaxy- with some of the best players in the league- but Real pulled out an easy victory. Our tickets were front and center too so we didn't miss a thing. Well except for when I went to get us churros and the line was like twenty minutes long.


All in all, I am so glad it was Jake's birthday.
It was so much fun to spent time just the two of us doing new and different things.
Its not like I can forget how awesome Jake is.
He gives me small reminders every day of his awesomeness.
Like when he gets up with the kids and makes them blueberry pancakes.
or when we comes upstairs from work to change a diaper because I am sure it will make my pregnant self vomit.
Or how every night we watch a little tv before going to bed, and he laughs out loud, and it makes me laugh too.
Or how he feeds my dog every night because I am tired and don't want to go out in the cold.
No, I don't need to be reminded of how awesome he is,
but spending all evening just the two of us made it just that much more clear.

5 comments:

Ming said...

Oh, I love you guys. Such a sweet post. Jake really is great! :) Love the new office too. Such a great set up you guys have. Happy 32nd to Jake!!

Lindsay said...

I'm still getting over the fact that you put his office together in ONE DAY! How did you do that with your kids (all three)?!? I'm super impressed.

And, aren't helpful husbands wonderful? I love the list at the end of your post of all the sweet things Jake does for you on a daily basis...

Happy birthday, Jake!

Polliwog said...

You must be feeling better! :)

Happy birthday, dear Jake. Looks like it was a good one. When in April are you guys going to the coast? Does this mean you are coming here too?

Crystal said...

Lindsay-
How I got this done all in one day- is that I had it secretly put together and arranged at my parents room, then borrowed my parents for two hours. Of course it was the only day that week Sam wouldn't take his normal three hour nap.
Em- We are going to Disneyland in April, with hopefully a day at the beach down there. We are also thinking about a day or two in Fresno- we will let you know.

The Tomlinsons said...

So cute, I hope it was a great birthday!