Thursday, March 17, 2011

Leopards and Leprechauns

It is St. Patrick's Day.
You would hardly know it if you hung out with us today.
Kate was up at night throwing up, with her 103 degree fever.... for the 12 day in a row!
I was up worried sick about how sick she has been.
In the morning instead of enjoying dressing the kids like pools of green and making a green breakfast, we were trying to get into see the Dr's and pack for a trip we were suppose to be leaving on.
I only remembered it was St. Patrick's Day as we entered the Dr's and it was decorated for the day. While we waited to check in I told Kate that we had forgotten our green clothes and leprechauns were going to come and pinch us.
Then we sat down to wait. Of course we waited for like 40 minutes. Some time during this Kate turned to me and said
" We better go home and put our green clothes on. I have green clothes. I have a green dress or something. If we don't the leprechauns will come and poke us"
I told her she was right. Then I asked her if she knew what a leprechaun was seeing as how the only mention I've ever made to her about it was just a few minutes earlier.
She said she did.
She told me "it has black polka dots, and is yellow, and is really pretty big. It lives in the forest and eats meat"
I told her I think she had leprechaun confused with leopard.
They do sound similar.
She wasn't too nervous considering she wasn't wearing green and a big meat eating leopard was on its way to poke her.


We got checked out by the Dr.
Kate made me reassure her he was in fact a Dr. because instead of scrubs or a white coat- he was wearing a green turtleneck. I told her he just wanted to wear his green to the leopard don't poke him. She was a little unsure.
He convinced me that Kate really wasn't dying despite the 103 fever for the last 12 days.
And the best part was that I believed him.
Really other than her fever, she had no other symptoms at this point and was as happy as I had seen her in over a week.
This was great news.
Since Saturday we have made two trips to the Insta- Care, two trips to visit the Doctor's office and one trip to the ER.
It has been on expensive week. and exhausting.
Not only are we getting less sleep because of all the sickness....I haven't slept because of all my worrying.
And I was sure we weren't going to make it to our vacation in St. George that started this afternoon.
Despite some left over fevers, we decided to go anyways.
Jake had to come for a conference, and we couldn't refund the condo we rented.
So we figured we could just be sick in the condo.
But we've had happy, healthy, kids so far.
We played outside at a park, went to dinner and shopping, and even went swimming.
Of course the kids just love hanging out in " our big place" per Kate.
And we are having some fun for the first time this month.
So St. Patrick's Day was a pretty great day after all.

1 comment:

Ming said...

Ugh! I'm sorry. As you saw on my blog it sounds like we've had similar days lately. Sick kids are NO fun! I'm glad yours seem to be doing better. Hooray for finally having healthy kids eh?