Sunday, March 13, 2011

Straight Out of a Jane Austen Novel

I've been shut away, sick in my room since Thursday night.
I keep telling Jake I feel like a Jane Austen heroine whose under the weather and confined to her room in the east wing for the week. I always found these sections of Austen era writing unbelievable. That somebody, even a sick somebody, could sleep for days on end.
But I am a new believer. I've been under the covers since Thursday night aside from a five hour trip to the ER. I literally was only awake for about 6 hours on Friday, and only a few more on Saturday. Some how my children- 2 and 3 years of age, have better immune systems than their pregnant mother. They seem to have cooled their fevers and calmed their coughs.
Though Sam's fever went back up to 103 tonight I think 1st thing Monday morning we will be headed in to have some ear infections checked.
Jake has to this point escaped the death cough thankfully and been our dutiful care taker. Without direction, groceries have been purchased, meals prepared, children bathed and but down for naps.
I have missed caring for my children, and playing with them, and feel they have grown just in my not seeing them for three days. But am completely grateful for the capable husband I have, who has completely abandoned his plans and work to assure the rest of us are alive and well.
My prescription allowed me to sleep an additional 6 hours Sunday afternoon, and I woke up feeling only sick- not on my death bed. I came down stairs to children eating popcorn and watching the velveteen rabbit with stories of their 1st adventures playing outside on the grass for the year. After they were put to bed I proceed to disinfect the house. I am still working on washing all the linens, but at least all surfaces have been sanitized and all toys submerged in boiling water. I am determined to not let this bronchitis follow us into next week or turn into pneumonia.
I'll be the 1st to admit our family, especially my kids, seem to catch things more often than others. But we really have been well aside from a brief cold since Christmas. This caught us off guard, how use to only Mom being pregnant sick, being the only sick around here. Thank goodness it seems we are on the road to recovery.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

so glad you are feeling better!

Polliwog said...

Wow! Didn't know you were so sick. Sounds like influenza... was it? Sick on top of pregnant is the pits. I'm glad you are on the mend. Hooray for Jake and his superhusband skillz. ;)

Ming said...

Ugh I'm so sorry! I can totally empathize. We've been sick in one form or another since January all culminating with a 2 day stay in the hospital for little Adelaide. We are home now and happy to report that everyone is well except Addie. She's almost there though. She is still on oxygen, but we're hoping she'll make a full recovery soon. She had RSV by the way. Sounds like the ick really hit your home as well. It's going around that's for sure. So so so so sorry. :( Hooray for Jake's super Dad skillz.