Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I'm Awesome Like That.

Today Jake and I managed to move all that we believe we will need for 2-4 weeks into my parents home. . Even just that much moving was daunting. A small breakdown from me in the morning and Jake agreed skip some work and to help me at lunch make this small move. Should make the next two days of packing and cleaning the house that much easier to not be in the house.

After the kids were bathed and bed ready, we left them in grandmas care and decided we would go work at the house just the two of us.
These days we are calling that a date.
So we picked up some Coke and Ice for the evening and had big plans of getting most the rest of the house packed. Sounds romantic huh?
Well keep reading- things got pretty hot!

After about an hour of packing, some neighbors stopped by to talk. We visited with them. While we were visiting I smelled some burning, but I figured it was the just the smell from the oven I had put on "self clean" earlier that day. Our neighbors left and we continued packing and sorting in the living room. I kept smelling burning, finally I couldn't ignore it longer and was sure something was melting in the dishwasher or something. I went into the kitchen. We had been in the living room for well over an hour now. We couldn't see into the kitchen with out going in it because boxes are pilled so high on the counters.

Boxes were pilled high on the oven too.

Big mistake.

As I came into the kitchen I immediately discovered what was melting.

A box of kitchen stuff, a table cloth, some rags, a pack of matches, and some packing materials.

They were in full flames in the kitchen.

I screamed Jake's name several times. He didn't come running like I had hoped. By this time I had the sink sprayer on and was trying to put out the flames. Finally after I scream "Fire" Jake comes to assist.

With the two of us spraying the sink water and picking up the burning mass and placing it directly in the sink, we were able to get the fire out. It was about now all the fire alarms started to go off.

Apparently an hour or so earlier when I had stacked a box on the oven, it hit the knob, turned the range on and the box caught on fire. On the oven also happen to be rags, a plastic table cloth and a pack of matches, and some packing materials. The perfect concoction for house fire.

Thankful we caught it early, and that it didn't damage the house, we cleaned up the mess (just what we needed -more mess) and repacked the burned boxes, and finally got the smoke alarms to shut off after about 20 minutes.

We packed up a bit more, then came home.

I showered the smell of smoke off me. I needed to shower anyways as that was not something I had managed to get done during my busy day.

Lesson- don't stack boxes on the oven.

I'm just awesome like that.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yes, that was pretty awesome! so glad everything and one is ok. What an adventure you are having!

DC Diva said...

Oh my word!

Janalyn said...

Wow----that is a crazy story! I am glad you caught it in time too! Lucky you had a sink sprayer handy! Glad that the story ended well for sure!

The Tomlinsons said...

AAAHHH! I will never put anything on the stove again now! Glad the Uhaul worked out, though, that's a relief! Good luck with the craziness:)