Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mom is Crazy but it Makes for Fun

I'm a little nerotic when it comes to my kids. Especially their health.
Have you seen me whip out my full size can of Lysol at the resturant and spray down the table, or at the grocery store and spray down the entire cart.
Well that is me.
A few weeks ago our new pediatrican mentioned M's head was getting a little flat.
She has had some Torticollis since birth, and flat out refuses to turn her head to the right.
I'm sure those heavy cheeks don't make it any easier to lift that head.

I've tried to sleep her on a special pillow I got a few weeks ago, but she just screams and screams for an hour, and then I move it and she falls asleep sucking on her left thumb in less than 30 seconds.
We do stretches, and force her head to the right. When we remember- and hey we've been a bit busy ya know. And now that we are paying attention more, it seems like the toricollis is worse than I realized. And every minute I'm not holding her I feel like her head is getting flatter and flatter.
And it will make me so sad if her beautiful dark haired head gets stuck in a helmet.

So last night I ran out and bought a Jumperoo.
I had the idea one might help her at 7:00 pm. Looked on Amazon for ten minutes then decided I couldn't wait for two day shipping so I went to the store.
I hate Jumperoo things. They are expensive. They take up half the living room. And I feel like they make me a lazier mother. I have successfully avoided the purchase of one for my 1st two children. But I folded.
Partly out of guilt that the move distracted me so much the past two months that I didn't even notice her flat head. And that despite the pediatrician's instruction since her 2 week old appointment that we needed to stretch her neck, we have only done it a dozen or so times amist the chaos.
But mostly because it is a great idea. It was my own idea for therapy thank you.

I think the Jumperoo is going to work very well.
She can stay in it much longer than she can sit in her bumbo chair because it supports her better, and anything that gets her head off the ground is a plus...and the seat spins so hopefully something to her right will interest her and she will stretch those muscles a bit on her own.



The older kids love it. They asked if they could wake M up this morning so they could watch her play with it. They make the buttons go off and are always asking about when she can play in it.
Perhaps they are envious it didn't show up for them in their own infancy.
Sometimes I'm a little nerotic, but this time at least it ended up in some fun.

3 comments:

DeeAnn said...

Thats the same one we have! :)

lilybit said...

everybody should have a little crazy in them.

The Tomlinsons said...

You're not crazy OR lazy!