Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Family Pictures

We had our family pictures taken last night.
I think more than anyone I have anxiety about getting family pictures taken.
Maybe it is because if it is something important to me my kids will always misbehave/ get sick/ etc.
Maybe it is because I know how horribly family pictures can go having done a lot for people over the years.
They are long overdue.
I have a hard time committing to a photographer. Finding somebody who doesn't cost and arm and a leg, but is at least a better photographer than I is a tough line. It seems all the photographers in my price range are usually pretty bad photographers. Which is why I was super happy to find this one. She seems at least a bit better than me, and her prices were super reasonable- plus she will sell me the digital copies.... a must on my list as well. I guess I am a picky portrait taker.
It seems like it takes everything out of me to get them done.
Getting clothes ready- keeping these clothes clean, trying hard to make sure somebody doesn't get a bruise or scrape in the week before, having haircuts, no red and runny noses, and then the day of it is just one big dance trying to keep kids happy, fed and rested in perfect timing so that when the appointed time comes they are the most possible level of content or compliant. Not to mention trying to keep my own anxiety as invisible as possible so the kids don't pick up on it and act out accordingly. I refused to bribe as I find it makes kids even more emotional.
Not everything went perfect. My baby who is usually one smiling fool some how couldn't fall asleep for her afternoon nap and was there for more tired than usual. The children' were a little more silly than they should have been, and there was a stray dog that was running around us and knocked Sam over resulting in tears. But it was as painless as it could have been.
This is the only picture I have so far. I don't love it. But I like it at least.
After years of trying to have our picture taken. Then waiting because we would soon have a new member. We finally have a new family picture.
I'm so glad I bit the bullet and finally just did it.
I love my little family and I am glad to have a picture taken by somebody else.
I can't wait to see more.

2 comments:

The Kay Family said...

You are crazy! It's a beautiful picture! Outfits = awesome. Lighting + location = beautiful. Darling family = priceless!! I share all of the same anxiety over family photos that you wrote here, and I think you did great!!!

Crystal said...

I agree that the lighting and location are great, I just don't feel like you can really see Sam or Marianne. I couldn't use it as a big piece in my home because I feel like Kate is too in the spotlight and the rest of the kids are shuffled to the shadows.