Thursday, September 13, 2012

September 8, 2012






I finally snatched Jake's i-phone so I could post about their Father Son day at the BYU game.
Samuel was so excited about going to his "Cougar Day".  He had a bunch of cougars papers that came with our tickets stashed in his backpack.  I believe I mentioned before how he and I had gone shopping and when I let him pick out a shirt he picked out something navy for the game with his Dad.
Well his day finally came.  Sadly Kate was very jealous, and when left at home with me threw royal fits about almost everything.
It was very hot so they left when BYU was clearly winning in the 3rd quarter.  When he got home all he really had to tell me about was that somebody got hurt.  I guess it made an impression on him.  I gleaned from Jake his special day also included a hot dog and a drink, and getting carried more than half a mile on Jake's shoulders.
I wish I could have been there too, but I am so glad they got a special day together.
Now Sam points out "basketball" stuff all the time with a renewed interest in the sport- though he really means football and just doesn't have his sports straight.

Lately when Kate goes to school, it happens to be Marianne's nap time as well, and Sam and I have "mom school"  Originally I had told Sam he would get to go to preschool this year.  But with the move, and still having some tummy issues, we decided it was best to wait until next year.  And I am really glad.  Because I love having "mom school" with him each day.  Usually in the morning he thinks of something he wants to learn about and tells me.  Then after Kate goes to school we sit on the couch side by side.   He gets out his pencil box, and his nice crayons.  We get some paper.  And we start with  some letter game.  I know Sam is smart but he doesn't always get the same recognition for being smart as Kate.  And I am learning that is not because he is not as smart, it is just because he has trouble being heard over Kate.  He is doing so well knowing all his letters, and sounds, all his shapes, all his colors, most his number, he can spell his name, and Kate's name, and is starting to learn how to sound out words and is starting to write certain letters, and numbers.  After the games he gets to pick anything he wants to learn about and we look it up on the computer and read about it and watch videos about it.  So far we have learned about tractors, worms, birds, owls, bears, trucks, fire engines two times. dinosaurs, and growing plants.  All from his own choosing.
I love seeing how much he knows.  I love how excited he is to spend time with me, and I love him cuddled up next to me feeling like the most important thing for an hour a day.