Friday, April 10, 2009

More Birthday Girl

To start the day Kate and I made her cake together. I know it may sound mean making someone make their own birthday cake, but Kate loved it- especially when I let her pour on an entire three dollar bottle of chocolate sprinkles. Mmmmm doesn't it look delicious. She was pretty excited about the cake- well the sprinkles. Then we went with Jake to "Choo Choo Lunch" according to Kate. She has only been to Dairy Keen maybe five times in her life, but has caught on that they have trains there. It is a train themed burger joint where an electric train drives around, and there are trains to ride and play with. Then we went to the library, read books and checked out new ones. In my attempt to not have a crying child on her birthday after that I drove around in a well heated car til she fell asleep so we didn't have to fight about a nap.
Kate has been in love with stickers since last Halloween when Amy sent her some in the mail. Since then she has collected a large selection of stickers- literally over a thousand easily. So we let her decorate paper plates and cups for us to eat dinner off of. It was a simple idea, but she thought it was pretty awesome.
Kate opening presents. It has been a constant stream of presents in our house since Sam was born. Gifts for Sam, gifts for Kate so she didn't feel left out, Easter gifts, Jake's birthday. Presents aren't so hard to come by lately so I wondered if Kate even understood that it was something special.
The thing she reacted most excitedly to was some shoes. She was terrified of a automatic Hello Kitty Bubble Blower (and still is this morning).

We let Kate blow the candle out three or four times. She liked to do it and that way I could get more than one picture. We also showed her how to take a bite out of the cake with no hands.
We finished the day playing with some new things, coloring and watching Madagascar- Kate's pick. I guess we wore her out because she coughed all night and has a cold today. It is funny but even though she doesn't really understand what a birthday is at this point, I wanted her to be so happy and have the greatest day. It snowed a little in the morning so anything super fun like the zoo or even the park were out as options. We made other plans and other than the scary Hello Kitty toy, I think it was a pretty good day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate it looks like you had a super fun birthday. Hope it was the best. We love you, Zack, Zane, Zoey, and Quinn - Karla too :>

What fun family memories. Glad you are enjoying them.

Emily said...

Those are some great ideas for making birthdays fun for little ones. I'm going to have to use the decorating plates with stickers idea. I also love the idea of driving around in the car to avoid a fight for nap time. Your kids are sure cute!

Unknown said...

Though the cake is super cute I think I would have to scrape off the sprinkles. I need more reasons to have present opening at my house. How fun!