Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Project Prepared

The ward that I live in is obsessed with Emergency Preparedness! Not that it is not a worthy cause.... they are just a little overboard, like learning to spin your own wool....ekkk! I think I would cut up my couch cushions to make clothing before learning to make a sweater from a sheep. Anyway each month the enrichment focuses on one piece of being prepared. Yesterday was on gathering and securing important documents. I came home and didn't think much of it. But apparently all the talk of crisis got me thinking, and when I get thinking I can't sleep due to small anxiety attacks. My mind would wander to an almost dream sleep, where my children were being abducted, quarantined, or our home was burning in a fire. So I started this project around 11:00 last night and am almost finished as I write this, except for a few loose ends. It took me about $50 and six hours, but the piece of mind I think it will bring was well worth it.
I am posting this partly for Amy, because she was interested in what I have been doing all day, partly for my Mom who wants to tackle the project with her ward, and anyone else who is interested. Might I suggest you do it for your family members sanity even.... I have been on the not to fortunate end of trying to handle emergencies in my family while my parents are out of the country.... lets just say almost every time they go out of the country, and I have spent hours searching their den trying to find insurance and medical information. In the end this information will be quick and easy for you to find, safe, and helpful to family members who may try to assist you in an emergency.

What you will need to start
2 4-5"" three ring binders
ABout 200- clear sheet protectors
20-30 dividers
CD's, DVD's or flashdrives with lost of space
Access to Copy Machine

What to gather

Contact
A contact list of friends and family, addresses, and phone numbers (copy your cell phone book)
Emergency contacts- a second list labeled as Emergency contact with who should be contacted in an Emergecny and your Doctor's etc.
Don't forget to add and label your bishop and R.S. President

Family ID
Indiviual Family Member info
Current pictures of each family member
Child ID, DNA and fingerprints
Adoption papers
Birth Certificates
Marriage certificate
Drivers License
Military Record
Passport
Social Security Cards

Auto and Rec Vehicles
Auto Policy, Insurance Card, Registration
Auto Loan Documents
Copy of Title or Leases

Church:
Important Church Certificates
Blessing certificate
Marriage certificate
Patriachial Blessing
Baptizm and Priesthood ordination info

Employment/ School
Diplomas
Resume and reference sheet
Employment Info and Contacts
Professional Licenses
Retirement Pension, Profit Sharin Plan
Wage Statement/ paycheck stub
Social Security Annual Statement

Estate Planning
Advanced Directive
Power of Attorney for Health Care
Financial Power of Attorney
Living Trust and Will
Final Instructions
Documentation of prepaid fees fo cemetery and funeral home

Financial
Bank Name, Account Number, deposit slip
Credit Card, Debit card be sure to write the customer service # on the copy
Investments- stock certificates, bonds, CD's IRA's
Mutual Funds, Money Markets
Safe Deposit box # and location and list of contents
Tax Returns for last 3 years
Book of Checks

Housing
Appraisal
Mortgage Statement
Deeds
Home Insurance and Coverage Info
Property Tax Bill
Land survey and Title Polity
Home Inventory (video, photo or list)
Receipts and Warranty of Expensive Items

Insurance
Disability Insurance
Life Insurance Policy
Long Term Care Insurance
Travel Insurance

Medical
Doctors, Hospital, and Vet contacts
Dental Records
Immunization Records
Prescription list including eyeglasses
allergies information
Copy of Health Insurance policy and cards
Pet vaccinations and license

Keepsake
Photo''s and home movies backed up on Disc
Important files from computer backed up on Disc

What to do
The process after the gathering is easy.
Copy everything (some things like credit cards, car registration, things you have to have in a wallet of car make two copies of)
Put all the copies in one binder
Put all the originals plus the copies of things you can't have in a binder in the other.
Put the "originals" binder in a safe deposit box or fire safe combonation lock box
Put the other somewhere in your home and tell key family members or a close neighbor where it is. I made my binder red so it is easy to find.

I can't say that I am great at tackling the food storage projects of emergency preparedness, I do all right I guess. This project was much more manageable for me. Something I could almost completely accomplish in one day. We previously had things in two different places in the house, and in a file cabinet mixed in with other not so important things. It feels good knowing that everything is safe and organized. Oh how I do love thing organized after all. I hope this post is helpful to you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow good job and good idea. it still seems a little overwhelming to me though- I need to be more organized!

The Tomlinsons said...

My ward is like yours! Great idea, I need to do it, too. I bet you feel much more prepared now. One suggestion also is to get a fire-proof box to put all the info in, along with the flash drives/DVDs, etc. A family in our ward had a house fire and the only thing salvaged was their fire box with all of their info in it.

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing this. I've been wanting to work on getting all this kind of stuff together.