Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 8, 2012

This next week.

This post is different from most blog posts.
It is not about what we have done.  But what we intend to do.
And when I say we. 
 I mean me. 
 Like always.

Jake is, as I type these very words, packing his bags for, you guessed it.  Scout Camp.
And although he intends to come back Thursday instead of staying the entire week like usual.
It is still daunting facing four days by myself with three kids.
That sounds like a cake walk to most of you I'm sure.
But it is hard for me. 
 Especially as we are still on a vacation hangover/ learning how to handle kids tummy troubles.
In past years I've only had two kids.  And a grandma up the street.  And lots of friends for play dates. And could feed the kids cold cereal and pizza.
This year I've got to bring my A game.

I intend to keep us busy and distracted.
With what you say?
I knew you would be on the edge of your seat.

1.  Monday Target Kids Clothes Clearance Shopping. (Have I told you how we have been scoring target clothes for kids for $1-$3 bucks.  Our school shopping is almost complete.  (we went-  and crazy enough Jake showed up.  He had forgotten something that was in my car and appeared in the middle of Target grocery.  It was surreal when I expected him to be camping.  We didn't come away with any clothes but did get some $4 sneakers for Kate)
2.  Doctor's visits.  Not ideal but  We have some scheduled and my M-I-L has so kindly agreed to watch the little two while Kate goes in for her echo cardiogram.  Sitting for hours at the hospital with Kate ain't fun, but at least it is a few hours I won't be watching all the children this week, so as long as the testing goes well, I'm a-okay with it. (It did not go well.  I mean it was quick, and my children were well cared for of course.  But the echocardiogram  showed that her heart has a premature beat, meaning she is not getting enough blood pumped through- not a murmur.  We have to go back because although we were hooked up to the machine and everything- our doc had not ordered the test for that so the cadiologist couldn't look at that.  Really, I mean really?).
3. McDonald's Happy Meals.  It is totally not with the kids diet, but we let Sam eat a hamburger with nothing on it while on vacation and it didn't kill him.  So I bet we'll repeat it on a night I'm feeling especially done. (It actually ended up being Sonic.  And it didn't kill him.  We also ate at the Whole Foods deli cafe.)
4. Wasting water with the hose on.  My kids will happily play in the yard for hours with the hose. Watering things, filling things. I'm usually a green gal, but I'll be all for it this week, especially when the forecast says Wed will be 108. (It was actually too hot to play outside most the week.  Crazy hot.  But in the evening there was lots of playing outside in the shade past bedtime)
5.  Along with that.  Using the air conditioner.  Normally we spend a lot of energy opening windows and closing curtains and running swamp coolers and such to try to avoid running the air conditioner.  I like that it saves us tons of money- but this week.  I'm going to just turn it on. (It is still running.  The swamp cooler finally wasn't cutting it.  I'm happy about the money we saved all spring by not using it at all, I'm a bit nervous about the energy bill this month.  I think is was 110 yesterday)
6. Hair tutorials on you-tube.  I recently have discovered I like them.  And likewise my hair is officially the longest it has been I think in 5 years.  Some fancy hunger games braid may distract those I see on Thursday from realizing I haven't showered in four days. (Although our internet coverage was having issues most the week I did manage to learn how to do a lace braid)
7.  Cleaning recipes off pinterest.  When Jake leaves for extended amounts of time I have more of a desire to clean.  Perhaps because my work may actually be noticed when he returns.  Maybe because I get bored after the kids are asleep.  Dabbling in home chemical mixing and cleaning my grout sounds like productive entertainment. (I have a bit of an addiction in making natural cleaners.  My countertops have never looked whiter.  A bit of a pin-tastrophy however with the so magic grout cleaner.  It left a residue I am still trying to get up)
8. Going to Costco.  It happens to be the only other store besides Target I will take all the children to.  They are the only stores with big enough carts to fit three kids.  Plus they have samples.  And $5 rotisere chickens. (We didn't make it to Costco.  We went to Whole Foods instead.  They don't have big cars, but they DO have kids carts.  I let the kids each push their own cart behind me, we made a scence but the kids thought it was awesome)
9. Watching Diego.  The kids like it. And I find that if M is sleeping, I can get in a 20 minute nap while the kids learn about how puffins can actually fly. (Yes lots of Diego, and also computer games.  I did sneak in a nap)
10. Eating that box of cookies I bought just for me and hid in the pantry. (Done and done.  The entire box was gone by Wednesday morning and they were delicious.) 

I'll let you know how it goes. (updated in green)

I joke a lot about surviving this week alone each week.  I am really joking.  Though we miss our Dad and husband things don't change too much.  I do miss my extra hour of sleep in the morning.  I use to enjoy not cooking real food and letting the kids eat sandwiches, but I don't cook for Jake anymore anyways with the kids special foods.
 Jake did come home at almost midnight on Tuesday to do a bit of work since camp is less than an hour away.  He literally scared me to the floor as I was in bed and jumped out  as I heard somebody come in, and I rounded the corner to his face 9 inches from mine.  I went back to bed, he was gone when I woke up in the morning.

4 comments:

amy + jeff said...

Ha! Me and Kay made a similar list on paper, one thing for each of the 13 days dad will be gone. What's on ours....jump a roo, backyard water party, library, shop for baby brother, chick fil a, make grandma take them to a dinosaur museum, 4 dr.appt's, pack for the vacation we will be leaving for the minute dad pulls in the driveway, make over their room, snowies, visit our new nephew, summer movie club, paint our toes, and I have a big ambition to work on blurb books, and nursing CE if and when the girls fall asleep before I do. Good luck to you. You should call me!

Lindsay said...

love this! Single parenting is so much more fun when you have a plan. :) Good luck!

Dyan said...

Great plan, Lars travels a lot, so I do the same thing (he is gone as I write this. This is super random, but if your family ever wants to take a trip to San Francisco you are welcome to stay with us. We are about 40 minutes from the city on a good day. Random, but keep it is mind:)

Unknown said...

i wish you would do more stuff with us.