Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Heart attack..... but I'm only 25!

Okay it really was just a panic attack that occurred this morning. I must share this story. On Friday at 5:30pm I rushed to the bank before the three day weekend began to make a deposit. We bank at a credit union, where strangley instead of deposit slips you send a paper version of your debit card through so they can identify your account. In the plastic tube I sent, this card along with my two week paycheck, a cash back reward check from our credit card, and most importantly Jake's two week paycheck. Without disclosing the intimate details of our finances- let me just say this was a lot of money to us, and would be paying the mortgage and other essentials bills for the next month. On Monday I checked our account online to see if our tax refund had been posted yet. It had (a side Yippee) but the deposit from Friday had not. Well it was at closing and it was still the three day weekend. No worries. This morning I checked it again, I am a little obsessed with managing our money, but mostly wanted to make sure the amount had posted. It had not, a mild sting of anxiety hits, but I am sure it is all fine. To the car to find the receipt just in case. Relief- I did have it.... no, no relief more anxiety, the checker mistakenly put my money in that of one Mathew Vincent! My thoughts, this Mathew Vincent probally spent all my money over the three day weekend and the bank... i mean credit union, is not liable. Mathew probally has a new Plasma TV, trip to the Caribean, or at least certainly filled all his vehicles with gas all on us. GRRRRR! I try to call our unamed credit union, but the only number is a 800 number automated and targeted at getting you a loan. Here it is...FULL PANIC. In pajamas, with wet hair from the shower, I throw on shoes, pluck a sleeping Kate from her bed with no socks or coat on and get in the car. I arrive at the CREDIT UNION in a matter of minutes. Thankfully the checker is not the girl who made the mistake, and thankfully she is someone I know outside of the bank, so I don't make a scene but politely explain what has happened. Knowing myself and my disgrace for poor customer service had it been the same checker I would have been sure to tell her how what I really thought of her and her credit union. To their credit it was all fixed in a matter of minutes. No apology, but an easy fix. For this I am grateful. What I am not grateful for is that Jake and I have entrusted unamed credit union with our finances. When we moved to Heber there was no Bank of American Fork, :) the best choice I assure you, and settled with unamed credit union because we had carried a auto loan with them for a few months and it had gone smoothly. I guess that is what we get for not banking at a real bank. We have debated before about changing to Zion's which is also in town, but the hassle of changing our checks has discouraged us. Perhaps it is time to consider that option again. In the end I am happy to report my pulse has almost returned to its previous resting state.

6 comments:

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

I'm so sorry this happened, that is SO scary! Anything that has anything to do with money not being findable would have me panicking too! I have banked at Zions since I was 16, and am too lazy to ever change, but they've never really done me wrong...

Amy said...

Scary! I knew there was a reason I compulsive check on our bank accounts... to avoid stuff like that! I'm glad it was all worked out!

Horner Family said...

Sounds stressful! We thought we would put a plug in for Zions Bank. We've lived in Texas and now Virgina, and we still bank with them. Internet banking is a wonderful thing! We have always been happy with Zions. That is more then we can say about the other banks we have had along the way.

Tanya Quinn said...

I'm glad it all worked out, but man it's scary. We have to entrust our lives basically to someone else and often we pay them fees for getting rich off of our money!

Unknown said...

We have just experienced (well, we are in the process of experiencing)a simliar situation- I'm glad yours ended well.

Ming said...

That sounds horrible. I hate things like that. For the record I'm a big fan of Zions Bank. Jeff and I still hold an on line money market account with Zions and a checking...even though we don't have one here in CO. We have a local bank too, but I'm telling you Zions is great. Great customer service too! Changing checks is a pain, but it might just be worth it. Just a thought. Good luck!