Friday, February 22, 2008

Another of my favorite things

I make a lot of treats with dipping chocoloate. People always ask me how I do my chocolate so well, and it is another one of my favorite things not because it tastes good- it is not the best tasting chocolate, but because your goodies come out gorgeous. I'm talking about Chocolate Coating (called Almond Bark at our house because most the packages don't say the product name but say in big lettering "Great for Making Almond Bark"). It comes in white, dark and regular in big bricks and sometimes can be hard to find at a normal grocery store. My favorite kind is Log House, they make a chocolate coating that is darker than most of the regular chocolate coating and it can be found at Super Target for about $2.50/ lb. To use it for dipping I like to put it over the stove on Med heat with a 1/2 teas or so of veg oil. It will melt smoothly, dip what you want, then set it on parchment paper to dry. Here is a dipping chocolate favorite- Portable S'mores. These were created when Jake had a campout with his boys scouts and they couldn't have a fire. You can't have a campout without smores. So I dipped marshmellows on toothpicks in dipping chocolate, then rolled in crushed graham crackers. Try making some today, I know you won't be able to stop with just one.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Crystal! You have inspired me to take out my dipping chocolate on a day besides christmas and valentines. I love smores and like learning about other ways to enjoy them!

Meagan said...

I love your blog- you alwasy have such fun stories and things to share. I love this idea. Who can resist chocolate! We hope you guys are doing great!

Amy said...

Mmmmmm! What a yummy concoction and a great idea... thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The look so yummy! Will they keep if you send some my way! Jk :) Great picture!

Ali said...

As Rachael Ray would say, Yummo!
I love smores! These look brilliant and I can't wait to try them. Your last recipe was a hit in our house so I am looking forward to adding another Freeman recipe to the mix.

Meagan said...

Crystal, to be honest... I'm not sure how I got the video to work either. I used Nero to edit the video. When I try putting up a second video... and I'm successful, I'll send you a How To. Sorry... I know that's not much help for right now. Kate is getting so big and is so cute.

I'll keep you posted on that video stuff.

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

i tried doing this dipping chocolate business yesterday and it turned into a grainy mess. i'm pretty sure i did it wrong.

Ali said...

Did it, loved it!

Horner Family said...

I have a lot to learn! I don't know anything about dipping chocolate, but it sure looks fun and yummy. Maybe sometime when I'm in Heber you can give me a lesson!?