Friday, August 15, 2008

More Olympic Thoughts

Jake and I have the TV on way to much lately. NBC is getting all the attention with the Olympics. Previously I doubted how into this year I would be when I didn't love the Opening Ceremonies. I did enjoy it in the playback and have continued to enjoy this years Olympic experience. I have stayed up way to late waiting for outcomes from the other side of the world. I do have other thoughts though, things I am just not loving. I am just not loving the way the Chinese are representing themselves. I was disappointed to hear about the lip sync scandal, where the seven year olds voice was heard but another girl lip synced during the Opening because the seven year old was deemed not attractive enough to represent her country. Also they are either starving their gymnasts to prevent them from going through puberty or they are totally lying about their age. I am fairly certain after the games our girls will be awarded the team gold when they discover that the Gymnasts put forward from the Chinese are really 12, below the legal age to compete. I am also sick of the Michael Phelps show. I realize he is amazing. I am excited that an American is breaking all those records, but I feel like it is rude to the other amazing athletes and swimmers to only talk about Phelps. His name is said more than any other, more than "The United States" even I bet. He is great, but I get it, he is great, let us hear about others who are great and see other sports aside from swimming, volleyball and gymnastics. Maybe coverage would also be improved if the commentators didnt just make predictions the whole time but shared interesting stories and facts about the athletes and their sports. Maybe the could not talk at all and their could be VH1 style pop ups in the corner telling us how Michael Phelps doesn't produce lactic acid like most humans, or how the mens volleyball star grew up on welfare, or how the rules in the Czech for water polo are different than in the US. I guess I was just really looking forward to this years Olympics and getting into it like in years past and it just hasn't happened.

6 comments:

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

I have to admit, I totally have Phelps Phever. I even had a Michael Phelps desktop background for awhile. Pathetic, I know.

Dolphinsbarn said...

Here are two interesting articles on what you've posted on. One regarding the age of the Chinese gymnasts (which CAN NOT possibly be 16)-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080814/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_gym_underage_chinese

This second one is on Phelps's TV appeal. When you see those rankings and improvements in ratings, it's easy to see why NBC's commentators can't say enough about dear Michael (who incidentally is facinating to me) and his abnormally large feet & hands.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08152008/tv/michael_phelps__savior_of_nbc_124476.htm

Love to hear your thoughts on these in a future post.

DC Diva said...

Amen dophinsbarn. Phelps is the best thing that ever happened to NBC (besides maybe our imaginary bff Matt). I'm riding the Phelps train, especially when he wins by 1/100 of a second. That was crazy! But the thing that drives ME nuts is that idiot reporter who always interviews him post victories. The girl can't ask an intelligent question to save her soul. She never looks excited and her voice bugs!

Harley King said...

I need a little more Crystal in my life because I can't stop watching the Olympics. I sat down the other day and thought, "I'm just going to watch for 10 minutes." Four hours later I thought, "Wow, my trampoline is my sport."

Anonymous said...

I love your passion for things Crystal. Whatever you write about I find it so interesting. I am a black sheep when it comes to the olympics, I probably won't watch one bit the entire time it is on and yet I have even heard of Michael Phelps, funny! Great post!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.