Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fresno Trip #17

This past week we headed out for what I believe to be our 17th trip to Fresno during our marriage. It always feels like a second home. Have I explained how great of a family I married in to. My Mother and Father in Law are good at everything. If you want to learn to do something- they are the people to consult. No wonder Jake is the king of everything- it runs in their blood. Furthermore his siblings and their spouses are some of my best friends. Marrying into this big family I figured that there would be some people I liked- but I didn't guess I would love all of them. We only wish we could hang out with them all more.
Our trip there went smoothly. We drove through the evening and night and the kids were pleasant and sleepy. Our first order of business upon arrival after some catch up was a trip to the Fresno Zoo. Kate loved being the tour guide, sitting in the stroller and pointing things out she wanted to see in the brochure. The brochure featured a parrot- which we did not see, leaving Kate a little confused.
The Stroller Limousine we borrowed from my sister in law was a hit with the kids. The cooler weather brought out the animals. Sam growled at the tiger and Kate name every animal there- including a cabybara. Zoo trip = success.
We have never been to Fresno in February. It is completely gorgeous. Yes- these pictures are from February. Jealous of the states weather? Sadly- we didn't have much sun, but lots and lots of rain- and even a little snow when we headed to the "mountain house" as Kate calls it. Any plans to go Marine World or the coast were out. But I felt like we were still always doing something.
These are the bee boxes. If you didn't know- farmers bring bees in to help pollinate their trees. One of my favorite things to see is the trees in bloom and the bee boxes lining the rows.
The Freeman Farm grows a little of everything. The everything trees are a bounty of fruit that they spread between all their family and friends and there is still too much to ever eat. This trip we brought home a box or oranges and tangerines. The majority of the land- what they harvest for profit and sell to Sunsweet -are plums for drying. If you have ever bought a bag of Sunsweet prunes you may have just been eating something from The Freeman Farm. The prune trees are not in bloom, so not as lovely- but interesting to look at still. I think they always look spooky.
Mid trip we traveled to Los Banos to visit Grandma Wood, Aunt Marilyn and cousin Tina. They were kind enough to play with the kids and not mind the mess they created.

Kate loves her cousins. There are seven little girls 6 and under who make perfect playmates for Kate. Kate enjoyed playing with the four that live near by. She is already talking about her cousins coming to visit her and making plans for what they will play. We love it because we don't spend an ounce of energy entertaining her the entire trip.
Sunday we had some great weather. Sam soaked up some sun while dancing on the trampoline.
The last day or so there the kids came down with colds. They were cranky the whole way home and I just chalked it up to the colds and long trip. When we got them out to get a bite to eat half way home we discovered their 102.4 fevers. I guess they had a reason to be crying after all. But who needs crisis training when you have dum- dums. They seemed to help the kids at least soothe themselves to sleep. One time I promise we will manage not to get sick in California.

Now we are home. My goals for the day include unpacking and getting the kids better. Then I need to catch up on chores so I can get to reading Cathing Fire. I read Hunger Games by Collins this trip- despite my usual stance against reading anything trendy- and was pleasantly surprised.

1 comment:

The Tomlinsons said...

I'm glad you had a good trip. I must admit that this is my favorite time of year in California. We are enjoying mostly 60-70 degree weather while Utahns are still freezing in the snow! I hope your little ones feel better soon!