Monday, April 18, 2016

April 5, 2016






















































 
















































For years I've been dreaming of having more land for a little homestead.
Our 1/3 acre doesn't seem perfectly suited for things like large gardens, bees and chickens, and fruit orchards.  But I've waited and I don't see a farm in my near future.  So I decided to just do what I can do.  The garden has been nice always, we just doubled the garden boxes last week.  And as promised to the children for helping me prep the yard for spring we went to the feed store in town and purchased chicks.  And we purchased six because that is the feed store minimum.  We plan on giving some away to friends who have a farm nearby when they are raised to outdoors because our city ordinance says we can only have three.

The kids were pretty thrilled  And I can see they think they are pretty cool because of it.
They decided to name them Rosie- mark's pick for a Rhode Island Red, Dawn - Kate's pick for the other Red, Crow and Night- Sam picked those both for the Black Pullets, and Lucky and Chick Chick by all of us.  Lucky because the grey smallest chick looked dead upon arrival to our house, and Chick Chick in honor of the Chick Chick dance Mari use to do when she was little.  Those two are Bantams.  We put them in a kiddie pool in the basement and it was an exciting day.  I'm not sure what I got myself into really.  I hope it turns out alright.  I'm already afraid of all the poop.  But the kids are loving them.  They love to show them off.  Marianne crafted a chick out of paper and rocks one day because she wanted to take the chicks to show and tell and didn't think she could. Well I talked to her preschool teacher and the next day we brought three chickens to school and Mari though that was the best.  They show all the neighbor kids and guests at our house.  Marianne wouldn't touch them for a while, but has learned to grab them from their back so she doesn't have to touch their feet.  Beth is over confident with them.  She will grab the big flying black ones now and carry them around on her arm.  The kids are learning something new and so am I.  Its almost as much fun as a puppy!

No comments: