Sunday, April 15, 2012

Kate is 5





My Sunshine Kate turned 5 this week.
On the way to take these pictures she said "mom it is girls day. I got to wear makeup, and you get to take pictures." She is explaining that this is a win win for both of us.
Then on the way home she has these yellow flowers in her hand.
She says "Mom do you like the sun- cuz it is really yellow" knowing yellow is my favorite color.
I tell her I do, of course, and that is just one reason I call her my sunshine.

Kate at 5 is awesome.
Weight- 35lbs- 13%
Height- 40in- 25% I knew she'd been growing cuz her pants are all short
She is super smart. And still remembers every little detail and event of the last 3.5 years way better than I do. It is almost concerning.
She is the best big sister too. Always bringing something home from preschool for Sam. Also making Marianne laugh. She really wants to please. But she is also really strong willed, making for some internal conflict which can be frustrating for a mini genius.
She still is determined to be an astronaut when she grows up, and still wants to convince Sam to be one to so they can play together in space.
She likes lots of girly things, like dress up, new clothes, make up, dolls, singing and friends friends friends. I wish I had her confidence. Her ability to make new friends. Her memory. Her great ideas. She is such a great leader in our family, always thinking of new things to do, reminding us it is family night... every night. And she is beautiful, and silly. That is one great combination. She has been so great about moving, and up to the adventure even though she had to give up friends and school and life as she knew it. She has a great attitude. She tries to hard to be good. I am such a lucky Mom.
She is so loved by each member of our family.

Today she told me about her plan for life.
She wants to be a mom astronaut and is concerned she might find the boy she wants to marry may not want to be an astronaut and live in space with her.
She told me she is going to have two boys and one girl- tommy, max and lily. I don't know where she came up with these names. But I like them. I hope all her astronaut mom dreams come true. In the conversation I must also add that she asked me a question. When I answered she said "cuz you know everything huh mom?" :)

6 comments:

amy + jeff said...

And she wants to be an astronuats when she grows up?...that is what Type A first born children like myself always say.

We love Kate and miss her already...happy birthday Kate

Unknown said...

Katerade!

Crystal said...

it is true. type A children. I guess they literally shoot for the stars!

Meridith said...

We miss that beautiful five-year-old. Happy Birthday to Kate.

Kristina Brown said...

What a beautiful girl and beautiful pictures! I adore the second one with her sweet and natural smile. Well done on both counts!

DC Diva said...

Darling girl! And great pictures!