Saturday, September 3, 2011

We all Scream....

Have I told you about the ice cream truck that roams our neighborhood.
No?
It is really strange.
It comes all year long, and although it plays loudly a silly tune with a "Hello" at the end from its speakers, it doesn't really draw children.
It always stops at our neighbors house. And one house around the corner. They seem like nice enough neighbors, but I'll admit these are the neighbors we don't know.
And like I said.
I have never, ever, not once seen a child waiting in anticipation for a frozen treat to be handed out the window of this ice cream van.... except for one time two years ago when I helped Kate to buy a treat from it.
Jake and I often joke that we think it is really selling stolen narcotics or something.
Like I said, the only people I see at its window are adult neighbors who I don't know.
We live in a really nice neighborhood really.
But why else is this truck only stopping at two houses, not drawing children, and has the same repeat adult customers at its window each evening.
It is strange.

Then today, around five, Sam and I were in the living room sitting on the couch. The silly tune started to play. And Sam got all excited "Ice Cream Truck, Ice Cream Truck!"
How he knows what an ice cream truck is I am not sure, how he knows it by the sound on the street, sight unseen without ever having the experience of getting ice cream from a truck.... beyond me... he likely saw it on Yo Gabba Gabba or something.

We together, looked out the door.
When his suspicions were confirmed I told him to go get Kate and I would get some money.
She was downstairs in the basement.
He stood at the top of the stairs calling down "Ice Cream Truck Kate!"
She hurried up.
And the three of us ventured over with the cash I managed to rummage out of my purses over to the neighbors house where the truck sat parked.
Then we waited.
For like 10 minutes of more.
For the adult neighbors, the ones I've seen over and over at the truck, to purchase things.
I didn't SEE any illegal narcotics being exchanged, nor absorbent amounts of cash changing hands (though i though $2 for an ice cream was a bit overpriced). I'll keep my assumptions anyways.
What I did see them buy was lots and lots of roasted corn on the cob on a stick.... for $1.50.
and a ring pop.

When it was finally our turn the kids each picked out a treat.
For Kate a barbie pop that looked just like her
For Samuel, Spiderman.
Then we sat on the front porch and they tried to eat the treats before they melted off the stick onto my newly washed front porch. They were not very successful.
But they were thrilled with the experience.

It made me sad though that it was such an event.
When I was a kid we got ice cream from the ice cream truck at least bi wekly.
We saved our nickels and went on our own.
And I doubt my mother feared we would be caught up in some sort of drug ring.

I know, I'm probably being ridiculous.
Not ice cream related. A picture of Kate and Samuel coloring together on the floor. They are both getting so good. Kate draws masterpieces with characters and storylines. Samuel is mastering the face and is always drawing people, and sometimes monsters.

1 comment:

DawnTreader said...

Those treats look suspicious. Deliciously addictive?